Puzzle time - spaghetti junction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
While trying to find some unexpected voltages on a lightning circuit, I found this.... see picture.

Does anyone else see the fault?

I've fixed the immediate problem, but on a more serious note, is it worth re-doing this properly, and what would you suggest using? This is basically a sloppy install of a consumer unit, presumably by an electrician instructed by a previous owner of the house. It's extending the wires to a newer consumer unit, which is below this junction box.

Attachments

• PXL_20230517_182813933.jpg
    PXL_20230517_182813933.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 190
Sponsored Links
At least it's in an adaptable box, common to find a load of crimps hidden in the ceiling. Yes you can fit DIN rail and a load of fixed terminals, but is it really worth the effort?

While trying to find some unexpected voltages on a lightning circuit, I found this.... see picture.

Does anyone else see the fault?

I've fixed the immediate problem, but on a more serious note, is it worth re-doing this properly, and what would you suggest using? This is basically a sloppy install of a consumer unit, presumably by an electrician instructed by a previous owner of the house. It's extending the wires to a newer consumer unit, which is below this junction box.
yes, top left cables.

As Eric says I wouldn't bother making changes as long as what's there is secure/fully rated etc... well apart from moving the rogues and fitting lid

Sponsored Links
Kudos prize to RandomGrinch, yes after unexpectedly measuring 230v on a neutral in the loft, the crossover was in the box as per photo. :)

oops... well spotted
I've just returned to the pc, in the meantime I wondered if it might have been a switchline but of course others have the same thought, however looking again I think it may simply be a mistake.

Last edited:
Is that all PVC T&E or is some of that Vulcanised Rubber top middle - hard to tell

I've just returned to the pc, in the meantime I wondered if it might have been a switchline but of course others have the same thought, however looking again I think it may simply be a mistake.
It's not a switchline, it's from the consumer unit, feeding the lighting circuit. I'm sure it's a mistake. All is working, and now the wires you expect to act as line and neutral are behaving as such.

By the way, I found this (picture) on the same circuit! All screws were loose or broken. Yes it was live (although due to the switcheroo in the junction box, luckily only one of the black wires was actually "live"). One cable traced to the radial, other one went was unterminated under the insulation.

Obviously, all now completely removed!

Attachments

• PXL_20230515_201123979.jpg
    PXL_20230515_201123979.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 41
yes, top left cables.

As Eric says I wouldn't bother making changes as long as what's there is secure/fully rated etc... well apart from moving the rogues and fitting lid
Thanks. I'll leave the box as it is then.

I don't know what the top left cables are for, they are 4 core and are connected to each other. They don't go to the consumer unit. They are just tucked in the box, I pulled them out the way to get a clear view of the wrongly wired connector block.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back