puzzled by rain water leak around window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all...
I'm becoming very frustrated with my landing window :(
I've had rain seeping in around the recess of the windowsill (right and left hand vertical sides of recess).
I've sealed everything i can see as a possible cause outside and waterproofed the whole outside wall.
I've had a builder out who seemed baffled by it and suggested i got in touch with a window company.
The window company seemed baffled too and suggested a new window, but couldn't guarantee that would fix the problem.
I'm a complete loss as to what to do next.
It's an average sized double glazed landing window which was already in when i moved in to the house (about 10 years ago). It doesn't have any opening windows, its just one fixed window.
Can anyone help with ideas please???

Thank You
Andy

Sponsored Links
Whats above the window, all my property leaks were caused by a parrapet wall allowing rain to soak thru to the inside [had no cap stone until I replaced].

could be when drained water from in the frame drops through to the cill then drains sideways instead of dripping out and off the cill. It wouldnt be dear for a new landing window, price up a new one stating that you dont want it having the same prob :D

Thanks guys

foxhole there's concrete lintel above the window.

s60tsy sounds plausible. How much should a new one cost?
I've been quoted £415

Thanks again
Andy

Sponsored Links
s60tsy it's just a single windows with no opening window.

It's about 1000mm x 900mm

Andy

thanks again s60tsy

I've got another company taking a look this afternoon.

I'll update later and thanks again

Andy

It's possible that when the rain drives in it hits the lip on the back of the sill and then makes its way to the ends, if silicone hasn't be applied at least to the end of the sill before the window sits on it, that rain will penetrate through. A lot worse if you have solid walls with no cavity

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back