PVA best for stairs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Knocked out all my under stairs brickwork and wanted to take the opportunity to glue and screw blocks underneath to add support and reduce squeaking. In terms of longevity, anyone got any views on whether to use PVA or some of the alternatives like that foaming adhesive I’ve used for flooring in the past? Basically just want something that’s least likely to break down and unbond over time
TIA

Sponsored Links
Knocked out all my under stairs brickwork and wanted to take the opportunity to glue and screw blocks underneath to add support and reduce squeaking. In terms of longevity, anyone got any views on whether to use PVA or some of the alternatives like that foaming adhesive I’ve used for flooring in the past? Basically just want something that’s least likely to break down and unbond over time
TIA

Hi,

I'm only a DIY'er, so no expert.
But it's foaming wood adhesive for me!
However, for my squeaky stairs, I cheated and fitted some heavy duty angle brackets. They're now rock-solid :)
...also make sure all the wedges are in place and fit snugly.

Sponsored Links
dont use general pva use something like D4 wood glue
or if you use foaming glue it needs to be captive as in think off something with a runny stickiness like golden syrup that then foams up to about 5-25 times the volume and cannot be cleaned off soft material with any success so iff its over head you need to have plastic on the floor to catch the drips and leave for up to a day till it goes hard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back