PVA cement board?

• Thread starter Deleted member 307320
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 307320

Just a quick one, never skimmed cement board before!

Doesn't seem excessively absorbent, how will it be to skim when it's butted up to normal plasterboard?

Should I look at PVAing the lot to ensure consistency?

Sponsored Links
Cement board will probably be very low suction. Personally I wouldn’t bother pva’ing it but wouldn’t do any harm if you did. Mix it pretty strong to get it tacky

Edit: assume you’re taking about a shower ar

I skimmed around the bathroom window reveals where I fitted Hardie backer and it sucked the life out if it and craze cracked full depth of the skim coat so think pva or sbr could be a wise move.
As above edit, i wouldn't skim if tiling .

Yes. PVA.
No worries then.

As for cement board suction I don't know. I've used it to fill in areas where 9mn plasterboard was too thick and I sealed so I know plaster would stick no problem. Small areas I used halftime to speed plaster setting and never got any trouble skimming over cement board

Sponsored Links
I’m now getting deja vu to having skimmed over this stuff (assuming you’re talking aquapanel/hardybacker) and it crazing as @lostinthelight says above (even though I still think cement board should be low suction). So yeah, prep it if you must skim it, but if the whole thing’s designed right, there shouldn’t really be any of it that needs to be skimmed.

I’ve given a fair few right answers over the years, I’ll allow myself one wrong one. As long as the OP didn’t knock the skim up before reading the whole thread we’re all good :censored:
I thought the same as you, when I first fitted it. We now PVA then blu-grit it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back