PVA vs Bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've been reading around on the forum, and I'm a bit confused over use of PVA and specific bonding agents and their use. I have several surfaces in one room to work with, andhaving thought I may be using PVA on some of the surface, I have now begun to think bonding may be the way to go.

Could someone please explain, with examples of when you would use each.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I've been reading around on the forum, and I'm a bit confused over use of PVA and specific bonding agents and their use. I have several surfaces in one room to work with, andhaving thought I may be using PVA on some of the surface, I have now begun to think bonding may be the way to go.

Thanks.

PVA is ok for walls that need over skim if you don't use it on walls in high moisture areas, bathrooms etc I'ts water based and will fail if it gets damp, it's not good area constant high tep areas either.

Thistle bond-it is expensive but is good ****. Still not good for high moisture areas.

Hi,

Thanks.

PVA is ok for walls that need over skim if you don't use it on walls in high moisture areas, bathrooms etc I'ts water based and will fail if it gets damp, it's not good area constant high tep areas either.

Thistle bond-it is expensive but is good s**t. Still not good for high moisture areas.

i only use pva when reskimming over old plaster, if you are skimming over artex, painted wall, or any other painted texture i would use bond-it. It is really good for contrlling setting time. Expensive, but good. Heard there is cheaper alternatives though, blue grit, even heard the local council plasterers use strong pva mixed with sand

PVA for old plaster is the best explanation, and bonding agents for things like paint, artex etc.

What people need to understand is why they are used. If you tried skimming an old plaster wall without PVAing you will be in trouble, as the pva controls the water being sucked out of your plaster ( think thats easy for people to understand ).

Now if you plaster on painted,shiny surfaces or things like artex, there is a problem when PVAing that the pink stuff wont stick properly, and could shell ( wall looks like smashed egg shells ) and can also pull through right near the end of finishing, where bond it gives something to grab on too.

But to totally contradict what everyone says, the guy who taught me, only uses PVA, he is 63. He has NEVER used bonding agents inside and ever had a problem.

When we discovered the green stuff a few years ago for painting on flat smooth surfaces outside for rendering etc ( we/he calls it green grit ), then he "embraced" it, as its easy than wire....

One small problem we have had is buying the green grit. He has a mate who works for a massived plastering firm, who has access to loads of it, so when we need some he just goes round his garage and takes a tub. As you can't just buy it in wickes, any ideas where its easily available? Or maybe i just havn't looked hard enough.

Then again when we do get it off him we get it for free, so i should keep my mouth shut realy!

Sponsored Links
When we discovered the green stuff a few years ago for painting on flat smooth surfaces outside for rendering etc ( we/he calls it green grit ), then he "embraced" it, as its easy than wire....
hud you say green stuff or green grit are you referring to bondit? as thats for inside work only

Yes i was refering to an outside space that was to become indoor, the orangery was what they called it, i would say its there dog room. The wall was blocked up, but that as the first time we used it, the walls were going to be wired, but then we were found out about this stuff. Was never told that if you spill it on the floor, that it will be there for ever....

As i said before, ive only had to use a "bonding agent" on a few occasions. But it is good stuff, if not expensive, but i get the green stuff for free. I have used wickes own, but its down to personal preference.

Again for the OP, if you use bond it ( the green stuff ) and you spill it on the floor, clean it up straight away.

ive seen that stuff, i may give it a go next time, as is £40 cheaper.

And it wasnt my floor, it was a customers...luckily enough i screeded it, but it was when first undone the tub, give a quick mix, and when i poured it in a roller tray it dripped, and then the odd splash from rollering.

I have a hall landing and stairs to do soon, so i may get a tub of blue, slap it over the night before, and see how it goes.

ive seen that stuff, i may give it a go next time, as is £40 cheaper.

And it wasnt my floor, it was a customers...luckily enough i screeded it, but it was when first undone the tub, give a quick mix, and when i poured it in a roller tray it dripped, and then the odd splash from rollering.

I have a hall landing and stairs to do soon, so i may get a tub of blue, slap it over the night before, and see how it goes.

Its true about the bodit staining though. Im doing a full house for one of my mates mum, so me and another spread are doing 1 room a day at the weekends. He went himself one night and bondited the whole room and got some on the womans brand new windows. Its still there, we just blamed it on the expanding foam the joiners left while putting the windows in so all good. Safe to say we wash down straight after any drips splash doors/windows.
We get all the bondit for free too as my mate does insurace work for a firm and just takes it from there but id order a few tubs of the blue grit if i had a lot of internal work myself. Im mostly external these days

oh yea i got some on the windows too....but didnt notice till the next day. Stanley blade window scraper got it off....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back