PVC guttering - lasts for ever?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, quick question here,
I seem to remember 'them' always saying how PVC was here for ever, i'm putting a new roof on soon - should I take the opportunity to install new (half round black PVC) with all the ache and expense that involves - I have 2 bay windows - or just save the old stuff and replace where necessary. What causes deterioration - hot/cold extremes?
Also, i was considering replacing rotten timber with PVC fascia/soffits but I can't find it in black gloss finish - only 'black ash' texture. Should I buy white and paint it all - and how 'maintenance fre' would this be?
Ta!

Sponsored Links
What are your existing gutters made from? If for example they are cast or aluminium and are in good condition it may be better re-furbishing.

If i was replacing the gutter with pvc, deepflow would be my prefered option.

You can get high gloss black roofline and apart from cleaning is relatively maintenance free.

Thanks for the reply,
Sorry, should have made clear - it's all half round pvc. Yes i would replace with deepflow if replacing as I plan to recover rainwater from the new (lead-free) roof. I'll probably do timber fascias as I can't find the black pvc fascia and I have a scaffold up anyway - it'll see me out!

Hello all, quick question here,
I seem to remember 'them' always saying how PVC was here for ever, i'm putting a new roof on soon - should I take the opportunity to install new (half round black PVC) with all the ache and expense that involves - I have 2 bay windows - or just save the old stuff and replace where necessary. What causes deterioration - hot/cold extremes?
Also, i was considering replacing rotten timber with PVC fascia/soffits but I can't find it in black gloss finish - only 'black ash' texture. Should I buy white and paint it all - and how 'maintenance fre' would this be?
Ta!

Old PVC rainwater goods used to suffer from the effect of UV exposure (sunlight). So in time, the material would fade in colour and become brittle. Modern PVC is much more stable and is a sensible cost effective solution. The rubber seals can perish over time, but again todays materials are really very good if installed correctly.

Personally I would not paint white PVC. You are introducing an item that will require maintenance, albeit only from a asthetic point of view, as the paint will eventually peel.

Sponsored Links
Grey Osma gutter installed by me - c. 1973 in village where I used to live - still going strong :mrgreen: . Marley 4 inch is **** :evil:

Thanks for the osma tip - when are you available !'ve got about 42linear metres to replace in about a week. :D

:LOL: I`ve just done part of my bungalow with Marley Classic and hidden brackets :idea: Nice . The rest has still got the `orrible 4 inch Marley, but at least I`ve got spares now . Way back , Hunter was even worse than Marley . Now they all have sensible clips to join them and long life seals :idea: London :confused: is that North of Godstone and that big motorway ;) You`ve got scaffold - that`s not too bad then :D

Hidden brackets? never heard of them, do you have a link to them as I can't find anything about them?

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back