PVC window can open but pins catch on closing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This has happened before. Was working alright but in either extreme heat or extreme cold cant shut it (kitchen window.)

I have to swivel the handle to move the pins around to get it to close.

What causes this? How can I fix it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Just checking in again this seems to be a problem for a fair few.

Sponsored Links
Yes, the side hinges have an adjustable positioning, just a matter of setting each side so it doesn't catch on the sides, or top/bottom.

Thanks, I'm assuming if the pins are catching i..e like the window has been lowered then I need to loosen the screws , push the window up and tighten?

My other question is won't it just naturally adjust when the extreme hot weather goes?

This has happened before. Was working alright but in either extreme heat or extreme cold cant shut it (kitchen window.)

I have to swivel the handle to move the pins around to get it to close.

What causes this? How can I fix it?

Thanks

you need to know what the problem is.

what are the mushrooms hitting on -the edge of the keep or the edge of the window?

your first thing to do is go outside and see if the window sash (thats the opening part with the glass) has an equal overlap around the frame.

Thanks, I'm assuming if the pins are catching i..e like the window has been lowered then I need to loosen the screws , push the window up and tighten?

My other question is won't it just naturally adjust when the extreme hot weather goes?
is it top hung or side hung?

sometime the sash rail sags a bit, sometimes the friction stays move a bit and one side drops
maybe the glass wasnt shimmed properly allowing the sash to go out of square

just a bit if info -the friction stays usually have one or two holes that are slotted -allowing adjustment, then there are a couple more which are just holes and have no adjustment. When fitting initially, the screws in the slots are put in first, window is adjusted until equal gap, then the others are put in to secure position. However the screws bite into plastic and ca work a bit loose.

is it top hung or side hung?

sometime the sash rail sags a bit, sometimes the friction stays move a bit and one side drops
maybe the glass wasnt shimmed properly allowing the sash to go out of square

just a bit if info -the friction stays usually have one or two holes that are slotted -allowing adjustment, then there are a couple more which are just holes and have no adjustment. When fitting initially, the screws in the slots are put in first, window is adjusted until equal gap, then the others are put in to secure position. However the screws bite into plastic and ca work a bit loose.

it's top hung so it's now lowered and the mushrooms are now catching like in the Youtube video I posted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back