PVCU window not locking - adjustment advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I've just moved into a house with a conservatory. One of the windows that opens outwards from the bottom (hinges on both left and right side) does not lock properly. I've taken a picture of the inside catches, as I have no idea how to adjust them so the handle will lock. It looks an old conservatory, so I imagine the windows are an old mechanism that doesn't get used nowadays. Any help would be greatly appreciated

upload_2021-6-16_22-15-3.jpeg upload_2021-6-16_22-17-42.jpeg upload_2021-6-16_22-19-17.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Its a shootbolt mechanism and still widely used today ( not necessarily the same make ). Would be surprised if parts aren't still available BUT we need to determine exactly what is the cause of it not locking, so a few questions need to be asked.

Is the window sitting straight in the opening?
Does the lock work correctly when the window is open?
Do both ' shootbolts ' ( either end of the lock ) protrude the same amount?
Do the ' cams' all move freely and not jam?
Do the ' cams ' hit the ' keeps ' ( bit of metal attached to window frame with slots in it )?

It may well be the ' gearbox ' mechanism of the shootbolt has ' slipped' and one half of the shootbolt isn't located properly so open the window and look at the locking mechanism ans see if both sides look the same throughout the range of open handle and closed handle

Thanks for the help
Is the window sitting straight in the opening?
I think so. Even look all around the seals when closed with no obvious gap or misalignment.

Does the lock work correctly when the window is open?
Yes. Both the end bolts move in and out when the handle is closed. The centre two bolts also go in and out. All seem ok when open, it's only when the window closes that the bolts seem to not be in line with the spaces to go into. The actual gear mechanism seems smooth.
Do both ' shootbolts ' ( either end of the lock ) protrude the same amount?
Do the ' cams' all move freely and not jam?
Do the ' cams ' hit the ' keeps ' ( bit of metal attached to window frame with slots in it )?
YES. That, I think is the reason, but I cant see a way to make adjustments to anything, as it all seems fixed. I'm wondering if there is a slight misalignment somewhere in the window frame. When I remove the catches one at a time it always jams. Only when all I removed do the the bolts all move out correctly. Normally the "keeps" have adjustment screws or allen bolts, but these have nothing to fiddle with.
May be something even more basic I'm overlooking.

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/...djustment-advice-needed.573015/#ixzz6y2Bd2VdJ

Sponsored Links
been in the window industry for over twenty years and never seen adjustable keeps on a window...only ever on doors. It is clearly out of alignment if all the cams are hitting every keep. This could be a couple of things , possibly ' dropped ' on the window hinge a little ( just one side very possibly ) , may be able to adjust the hinge , maybe a new set is required...can't really tell, OR the glass needs repacking. Easiest way to tell if the window is sitting straight is to use a pencil and mark where the sash sits in relation to the apertue when closed , then open it up and measure the distances. You say it is visually sitting correctly but something is clearly amiss

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back