QAA 73 Controller

Alec1, I note that you said :

The OT controllers modulate the boiler flow temp and offer both a more comfortable environment with few temperature swings, enhanced reliabilty and efficiency..as the flow temperature only ever gets as high as it needs to be to maintain the room temp...

That sounds awful like a good sales pitch for the OT controller, I would however question the enhanced reliabilty part, I cant see where the controller would make the boiler any more reliable. I do agree that it could increase efficiency but does it increase it significantly more than a modulating boiler with outside sensor fitted ? This will still modulate flow temperature down dependent on the outside temperature and albeit that the inside temperature may not be having a direct effect on it, the individual rooms can be controlled via TRVs.

I agree yes it does modulate the flow temperature to whatever temperature is required to maintain the room temperature that the programmer is in - but what about the other rooms without this control ?and where is the programmer best located ? They used to say in the hall then some say the lounge but just where is the best ?

I can only go by what I have come across on sites and my sites are 98% commercial properties so I cant really comment on domestic situations but certainly in commercial situations I have had nothing but complaints from every room other than the one with the controller fitted in it.
The largest domestic installation I did was a block of 8 flats where each one had its own boiler and a QAA 73 controller - every single tenant complained that they could not get the temperature controlled properly to suit them - it was either comfortable in lounge and cold in hall, kitchen and bathroom or too hot in the lounge but acceptable in the rest of the house so they were leaving the lounge door open to let the heat dissipate around the rest of the house.

Please note that these are only my own personal experience of them and like everything else I am sure that in some situations they work extremely well. Everyone has their own opinions on things and I struggle to be convinced they are worth as much as the £700 that Parts Center want for the Trianco controls, especially for a house.

I have actually just fitted an OT controller QAA 73 in my daughters flat along with a new Ideal Logic + 24HE Combi so it will be interesting to see how much she saves on her gas bill - watch this space ! I dont know how reliable the boiler is but it comes with a SEVEN YEAR parts & Labour warranty and that was what attracted me to it.

Sponsored Links
its the longer running times and lower temperatures that enhance reliability ...much like driving a car at 35mph rather than lurching from stop to 70mph in short bursts...which takes the least strain?

It also makes sense... all boilers are designed to take compensation controls (by EU regulation) its just in the UK we are not required to install them with such controls! So installing boilers with other components, as the design engineers intended must reap some benefit, rather than treating them as a component that gets bolted to a bigger system as "joe public" would like...

I only install compensation controls...sometimes when the phone doesn't ring I regret installing such reliable technology...regrettably thats not an opinion...its a fact!

As for complaints, which I get very few of, you do have to
focus people on room temperature rather than radiator temperature...that soon shuts them up! On one occasion I told the client to ring if the room temperature was not on target temp within 1c...needless to say there were no more phone calls..

Alec1, I note that you said :

The OT controllers modulate the boiler flow temp and offer both a more comfortable environment with few temperature swings, enhanced reliabilty and efficiency..as the flow temperature only ever gets as high as it needs to be to maintain the room temp...

That sounds awful like a good sales pitch for the OT controller, I would however question the enhanced reliabilty part, I cant see where the controller would make the boiler any more reliable. I do agree that it could increase efficiency but does it increase it significantly more than a modulating boiler with outside sensor fitted ? This will still modulate flow temperature down dependent on the outside temperature and albeit that the inside temperature may not be having a direct effect on it, the individual rooms can be controlled via TRVs.

And yet

I personally have a Strata 1/38 Combi boiler with an RE 2132 room unit, a remote room sensor in hall (allowing both all and lounge to dictate the flow temperature and an outside sensor for direct on boiler weather compensation, I also have a cylinder (for a power shower) with cylinder stat fitted and wired to override the outside sensor and give DHW priority on the cylinder, then switch back to compensated heating circuit. My gas bills have dropped considerably over past two years due to the controls as well as fitting cavity wall insulation.

Boiler doctor what do you think your RE 2132 room unit Is doing to your boilers burner when it is in operation?
As for boiler reliability using open therm then I would agree with Alec
There is less thermal stress etc due to the longer burn time etc, this also applies to your own system too as your controller also modulates the burner
Matt

I was only looking for something that was more readily available than a QAA 73 if that was feasible. I tried using a drayton LP 722 on this boiler Trianco optima but I couldn't get it to work. The manufacturer recommends the QAA 73 and the reason I could not get the drayton to work was due to being unable to figure out how polarity is connected on the boiler. Thanks for all responses and discussions.
k

Sponsored Links
Kilpheder are you still on this forum. I have same boiler and love to ask you couple of questions

I actually have the system version and have just spent the weekend effectively converting it to a combi using an external heat exchanger.

Did you purchase this recently as I'm sure you know Trianco was bought out some years ago and they dropped the gas boiler side. Thus parts are all but impossible to get.....or do you know differently? Just a quick question for now, what colour would you say your flame is through the viewing window, mine is seeming to be more orange than blue but not sure if thats always been the case. I'll attempt to post my email address in your messages section.

Hiya apologies for the delay. There are problems with parts, though I have been lucky in that I have no need so far. I came across ecoflam or flame who seem to be the agents for trianco as to whether they will be able to supply what you need is anyone's guess. I bought the boiler a while ago and had it stored before fitting recently. This is an optima 28 which is a condensing mutli boiler I am not sure if your machine is the same. The colour inside the glass can best be described as the end of a well burning cigar. I can't actually get to see a flame only the heat on what I presume are baffles. Hope this helps. Get in touch if you need any further info.
Al

Yes, mine is the same with a few bits remove to make it a system boiler. Ecoflame was where I got a new probe from but worries me I'm going to come unstuck one day.

I remember flue parts being a problem when it was original installed.

Yes flame more a glow that you can see. Mine's somewhere between a blue and an orange. I'll look out for a cigar smoker to compare!

Good luck

Ian

There have been quite a few on ebay over the last couple of months. A brand new still in the wrapper went for £60, there have also been a few that have been replaced for the sake of it and they went for less. It could be a useful avenue as I think they are fairly reliable. What did you do for a timer/programmer?
Al

Damn I keep looking on ebay but never seems to be any when i look.

Had been using Danfoss TP75a with TS2 remote sensor before I converted it. Any controller like this could have been used as it connects to the room start terminal on the boiler rather than where the QAA73 connects.

Soon I will be installing the QAA73 (which came with it when purchased) soon. I note this has Ecoflam written on front, did you try them for one?

I installed the QAA controller but have had lost patience trying to make sense of some it. I downloaded the instructions from the QAA 73 baxi ifs store which I think are more comprehensive then elsewhere. Let me know how you get on with it, as it is the recommended controller I need to get my thinking cap on.
Al

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back