Qualcast Suffolk Punch cutting problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I was hoping someone could help me with a problem I have with my Suffolk Punch 14SK. When I cut the grass there is a line about 2 inches from the right hand edge of the cutting which is a few millimetres deeper than the rest of the cut. As a result when I cut "back the way" it shows as a large channel. The pictures attached will perhaps explain things better.

I have had the blades sharpened and set but this has made no difference.

Does anyone have any ideas as it is very annoying !!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Are those not wheel tracks. I'd say you "lawn" is mainly moss and for starters needs a good feed

Assuming that the clipper blade was professionally sharpened - i.e ground on a machine, then look very carefully at the bottom blade, that the cylinder comes up against. The bottom blade must be absolutely parallel to the cutting cylinder, and each clipper should just brush the bottom blade with a gap approximating to a piece of paper.
John :)

I'm pretty sure the 14SK is the traditional cylinder clipper and rear roller machine.....not absolutely certain though.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply. I think the mower is maybe sitting slightly off. As a result I will try to adjust either the front or rear rollers (when I work out how to do it !!)

I can only generalise here, but the rear roller is usually fixed, and adjustment is done via the front ones - at least grass height wise.
For the cutting cylinder, often there is a spring loaded screw at each end of the cylinder.....turning this pulls the bottom blade into close contact with the cutting cylinder. With the machine running and the blades spinning, the technique is to slowly and gradually turn these screws one at a time until the cylinder scrapes the blade, and then back off just a touch. Take care if you attempt this!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back