Qualifiacations questions

rjb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am finishing 2320 level 2 very soon and will be doing level 3 at local college next September.

Is there anything stopping me doing 2381 & 2391 before starting level 3 so I can get ahead of things?

The goal is to be self employed electrician so will need part P.

Have I missed anything here. Even talking to qualified electricians they seemed confused about the qualifications out there.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hello,

To be honest you do not need the 238 0r 9 -1 to become a domestic installer through some organisations, you just need to do their competence course and show an assessor that you are compliant and competent to test properly.

Hope this helps.

Ed.

The 2381 basically says you can read the regs (open book course), not a bad one to go for. The 2391 on the other hand is really for electricians who are already practicing and know how to inspect, test and certify, there is quite a difficult closed book written exam where pass rates are often in the region of 30% across the country.
I take it you will be wanting to become a member of a competent person scheme? Each scheme differs in the respect of what competency they require to join, you're better approaching the scheme you wish to join to see what they require.

I have tried searching Google, but is there a comprehensive list relating to the various bodies who do part P so I can start researching.

Or alternatively in any ones experiences which ones are best ?

Sponsored Links
Part P exam is not difficult (largely open book if you need them) about as tricky as 2381. Plenty of comments on this forum that if you turn up you pass the 2381 & Part P.

The Govt website on Part P (sorry don't have the link but try googling building regs) lists the scheme providers. Plenty of comments on here and other fora about who is best. NAPIT & ELECSA probably winning for being the most helpful to their members. NICEIC the most well known amongst any of the public who know anything about electrics. Everyone has their own view about which is best. Bit like is a Ferrari better than a Lamborghini. Take a close look at their requirements for practical assessments and see which fits you best. I know both NICEIC & NAPIT are offering deals to get people to join and/or swap sides. I suspect the others are as well.

Try searching through this forum there's plenty of history on this one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back