qualifications required?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I wonder if anyone can help.
Prior to joining the airforce in 1969, i did 3 years as an apprentice electrical engineer, (city and guilds electrical engineering technician)
During 5 years in the raf I was a ground radio mechanic.

I am due to retire in 18 months and thought a useful way to augment my pension would be to offer my services on a self employed basis doing small jobs i.e - fitting new lights/sockets etc in domestic households.
Would I need any accreditation to carry out such work, and if so , what does it entail.

Sponsored Links
I once heard that you dont need any qualifications to work on house electrics...

Is this true?

barold said:
Would I need any accreditation to carry out such work, and if so , what does it entail.

to work on "anything" electrical you have to be a qualifed electrician to the current i.e.e. regs

you would need to sit the apropriate exam, and all the training it involves.

The "problem" with what you intend to do is that of responsability / liability

if something were to go wrong you become liable for it, also when working on anything you then become liable for the all that is connected to that circuit.

which basicaly means without the correct qualifications you can not get insurance which means you can be sued to the hilt and then some.

although you have city and guilds as electrical engineer its not quite the same.

That said why don't you see if you can get a job as an electrical engineer, it pays more.

I agree with breezers thoughts, however, you could do electrical jobs now, and if you can't get insurance, take the responsibility yourself. I wouldn't recommend it, but you could do it.

Next year looks like being a bit different though. You may have heard of building regs part P. This is another scheme to try and regulate who can do what, and it will make certain work subject to the regulations. This will mean ANY work in kitchens or bathrooms for instance.

In common with the rest of building regulations it will come under criminal law, with heavy penalties.

Of course there are building regs now eg. for windows, gas, oil, and solid fuel installations which have to be done by "competent persons", but it isn't, and it doesn't comply either.

Sponsored Links
thanks all to who replied,
So it seems even though I may be competent, i would have to undertake liability inasmuch as it is unlikely i wouldnt be insured and at worst face manslaughter by neglect should anything go wrong. Another step in the march of beauracracy - although to some degree understandable. I wonder who covers the insurance for european holiday accommodation(or some I have stayed in) i.e. exposed cables in bathrooms etc!

Any ideas how I would obtain accreditation and the time involved?

So in other words, you can do all electrical work yourself, but you will expose yourself to unlimited liability, as you can't get insurance without qualifications.

So it's a case of 'do you want to take the risk'

Any ideas how I would obtain accreditation and the time involved?

There are some useful starting points, one is to contact one of the plethora of training centres. See this .

Look at C&G 2381. The "qualification" of those currently involved in the electrical industries is just to sift those who can understand what's being said and not looking for a short cut to a career change, so don't be put off.

This will give you a piece of paper which will ease the insurance problem.

Like most courses, it is an acknowledge by you that you have been formally told what to do, and you sign a piece of paper admitting it. It doesn't set out to teach you a trade.[/url]

I know that we have to wait and see what Part P says when it eventually comes into force, but it looks pretty certain that even if barold got all those qualifications he would still not be allowed to do what he wants, as he wouldn't be a "competent" person unless he was NICEIC/ECA/JIB/whatever, and we all know the issues surrounding that - paper qualifications are not enough, you have to be nailed to the floor and painted blue first. (Sorry couldn't resist - it was a joke, not an invitation to reopen that argument :rolleyes: ).

.........wouldn't be a "competent" person unless he was NICEIC/ECA/JIB/whatever........

I've heard one of the outfits angling to expand their empire and handle the competentcy register is FENSA, that's the outfit who do the windows and doors installations. So almost anyone could get in. FENSA's claim is that they inspect 50% of a 20% sample of the total. Don't know why they can't just say 10%.

Anybody know anything about this?

It all very well having all these rules and regulations,say 'Part P' regulations for an example,how does the average diy'er suppose to know about it? Some of us could be liable for a heavy fines for breaking the 'Part P' regulation which we didn't do it on purpose and how are they going to enforce it? As always there's isn't enough inspector to go round or do they wait until something happens? Surely the best way is for us to sign the agreement for understanding 'Part P' but that means more paperwork !

Getting away from the subject,remember if anyone altered the personalise car number plate (letter/number) it will failed the MOT but you still see them around getting away with it.

I still think all these regulations is a grey area and people will abuse it.I don't think it a case of people doing it on purpose or "catch me if you can" it just that people are not aware of it

I still think all these regulations is a grey area and people will abuse it.I don't think it a case of people doing it on purpose or "catch me if you can" it just that people are not aware of it

I agree, but house owners will gradually get more aware of it when they get the questions about work having been done without certificates. Nobody may know before they get out and get the money, but the purchaser can get them later or at least make life unpleasant when they find out.

If something has been done at a time, and it didn't comply with the building regs in force, it's possible to chase people for rather a long time, and if a lax tradesman is involved, his life could be difficult. Most people don't know and will get away with it. I will always get caught, just my luck. :cry:

quote:
"The "qualification" of those currently involved in the electrical industries is just to sift those who can understand what's being said and not looking for a short cut to a career change, so don't be put off. "

. . . . . to take this a stage further what if one, was to be looking for a "long" cut to a career change, does anyone have any advice for them? esp. ones that would not be able to give up their current (sorry) day job while qualifying?

. . . just found another topic where this very question was asked answered, debated and answered again. It's put me off!

breezer said:
to work on "anything" electrical you have to be a qualifed electrician to the current i.e.e. regs

Legally you could actualy work with the qualifications you have, and even advertise as a qualified electrician. You would pay FAR more for PL and EL insurance, but it would be impossible to obtain, this is one of the BIGGEST problems with the electrian's world.. every who THINKS they can do something, can basically go ahead and do it, in someone else's house.. and unfortunately not all bad practice ends up with a breaker tripping or something not working. Often some of the most dangerous faults can "apper" as if all is well, till somthing gets touched, or a particular state condition is met...

Can't go wrong at least doing the regs. Perhaps work for a contracting company? Then you will be covered by their insurance policies, and you can do the regs whilst still earning money

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back