Qucik question regarding light in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Can I use some spare 2.5mm twin and earth I have left over from another job to spur off the existing lighting circuit to add a loft light:

lighting circuit --- triple junction --- 2.5mm t/e --- fused switch --- flurescent strip light

or should I buy some 1.0 or 1.5mm? what fuse in the switch?

Sponsored Links
Use 1mm or 1.5, 2.5 is a pain to work with in most domestic accessories made for lighting circuits.
As you are taking it from an existing lighting circuit then no need to have another fuse.

thank you for the reply :)

I guess what I am asking is CAN I use the 2.5mm? I realise the smaller sizes are easier, but is 2.5 going to be ok?

There is nothing technically wrong with using a bigger size, however as I said it will be a pain in the backside to work with. It might also confuse someone later on when the see 2.5 in use and think it is from a socket circuit.
Personally I'd use 1.5mm, given the price of new cable it isn't going to break the bank to use it.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back