Query about Worcester Bosch boiler condense pipe freezing.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I hope someone can help?

We purchased a new boiler in February last year, a Worcester Bosch. It's worked fine since then. However over the last few days/weeks the condense pipe has been freezing.

The installer came back and lagged the pipes for us, and it was OK for a day, then it stopped working again.

The trouble is we have a VERY long condense pipe, it runs from the second floor, round the side of our property, round the back and down to the drain by the kitchen door.

We have called the installer again, who says we now probably need a thicker pipe installed, and he can do this, but at a charge of around £100.

My query is, should be we have to pay for this? Afterall they must have been aware that the condense pipe will freeze?

I know it's been incredibly cold lately, and more than likely we won't see temps like this again this year.. but obviously we don't want it happening again...

thanks very much for any response.

Sponsored Links
If its been installed to MI manufacturers instructions then I would say yes,

but if not then no

What size is the pipe at the moment? I can only assume its in 21.5mm overflow pipe which is too small. It should be rectified free of charge in that case.
I love this weather, I've gained over 20 customers from poorly installed boilers, the numpty installers are finally being found out. Hopefully next year it will be even colder.

The installer put this in and took the money, not the manufacturer, and I would say needs to do this without cost.

Sponsored Links
there is a serious design flaw with these boilers this freezing problem should have been addressed at the design stage (never mind we have had extreem weather my condesser pipe was frozen so I disconected it and was told to run the pipe into a bucket until the weater got warmer, yes the boiler started up for about two hours then packed in now the blow off valve has gone and I dont know if they can get one before christmas? we have been without hot water now for three days, my addvice to anyone comtenplating getting a condesser boiler is think very hard about where its going to be cited, I was advised to put mine in the loft, what a mistake up and down to check the pressure etc, I am now considering a floor mounted boiler that fits where the tank was cited,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back