Query on current rating of switch for a fluorescent tube

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is a 1amp switch OK for switching a single 3' standard fluorescent light, please?

I've come across one which would suit my application (automatic switching on wardrobe doors), but it says it's not suitable for fluorescent lights. I can only assume it's to do with startup current (?).

Out of interest, what would be the startup current?

Sponsored Links
It is probably more to do with the load type - fluorescents are an inductive load whereas your normal filament lamps are resistive.
As it says it isn't suitable for fluorescents then it isn't suitable.

starting current depends on lamp type and ballast type.

Old magnetic ballasts will have a huge startup rush, burn out a 1 amp switch in no time.

But newer T5 electronic units are more controlled and would probably be ok on a 1 amp switch. And more efficient.

If in doubt use a relay.

Sponsored Links
My query really stemmed from the fact that I had seen the same switch (240V incidentally) from two sources, only one of which stated the unsuitability for fluorescents. This is what the ad stated.

IP rating: IP20
> * Code: XS63W, CSWW
> * 1A, 240V mains voltage
> * Current: 1A
> * Supply Voltage: 240V
> * Momentary push switch, normally on, push for off.
> * 2 mm depression required for operation
> * 5.5 mm total travel
> * Dimensions: 45 mm x 34 mm x 20 mm
> * Not suitable for fluorescent.

When asked, the source which had not given the warning wasn't really sure, hence my original question.

This is the manufaturer of the switch: http://www.eterna-lighting.co.uk/productinfo.asp?product=XS63W
nothing there or in the manual about fluorescent lighting.
However at only 1A rating, it is very likely that a magnetic ballast will cause damage to the switch.

Do you really want a magnetic ballast fluorescent in a wardrobe anyway - many seconds and much flickering every time it switches on, with the inevitable hum from the ballast unit resonating throughout the cabinet?
A HF ballast would give instant start and no flicker, plus the tube will last much longer. If you already have the light fitting, it can easily be converted using one of these: http://www.screwfix.com/prods/40067

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back