Question 2 (re new non condensing combi boiler)

• Thread starter novicebuteager
  • Start date
N

novicebuteager

I live in a ground floor flat and i need a new combi boiler asap as my 19 year old boiler has leaked water and part unavailable.
the flat above is owned by others,they have not given me permission to attach any flue to their property,the only external wall i have is my kitchen wall and that is where my flue terminal terminates,so my new flue has to go here.
the gas supplying pipe was renewed 2 years ago as there was a gas leak somewhere,no one could pinpoint it so complete new run with 28mm copper and no other gas appliances yet but i am considering a 6 burner range type cooker in 4 years.
from the meter to my boiler is 13m and virtually a straight run.
Ihave an estimate for a new condensing boiler which i am happy with but when i consulted my neighbour re access to my flue he said he will not allow me to install a condensing boiler as the plume will draft at speed on to his property which is within 2.4m.
I intend to stay in this property for 12 years unless i have a good win on the lottery and i get on with my neighbour.
My neighbour is willing to have his installer install me a new baxi 105 se boiler at his cost ok a non condensing appliance and no flue plume on his property.
So am i breaking any laws.
yes or no answers please and thank you.

Sponsored Links
Itr is very difficult for me to imagine a senario where you could not fit a condensing boiler with a plume diverter.

Can you draw a plan or take and post photos showing the layout.

Its an arguable point but usually considered that the freeholder owns the outside of the walls rather than the leaseholder who only has a lease on the interior. That can depend on the wording of the lease.

Its no longer permissible to fit a non condensing boiler.

Tony Glazier

As a matter of interest, what make and model of boiler do you have now?

What is the "unobtainable" part and who told you that?

Tony

Sponsored Links
existing boiler is a vokera 21/84 dc/turbo,the heat exchanger has leaked water and caused the thin metal fan housing to corrode to such an extent that the fan has dropped and a possibilty of products of combustion not to expell from the boiler.

all i really want to know am i breaking any laws.

It is possible in very limited circumstances to get a dispensation to install a standard efficiency boiler, you will need to get a registered gas engineer to complete a dispensation survey if your property can score 1000 points you can install a non-condensing boiler, it is not easy to get to the 1000 points though (although a lot easier with an oil fired system!!) ;)

Its no longer permissible to fit a non condensing boiler.

Tony Glazier

Dont install boilers I take it?

OP - read this

http://www.idhee.org.uk/ExceptionsGuide.pdf

Contact the environmental protection department at your local council and ask them to advise them of the scenario, as it would be they who enforce a complaint made by your neighbour. From the information you have given there are not enough points for exemption, nor is there specific mention of "nuisance" within the procedure.

Its virtually impossible to find a residence where an exception can be made.

The only exception I have seen was an office about 50m from any drain point.

The OP has decided to make up his own mind as to what can and cannot be fitted.

Just because a neighbour says something that does not mean that there any legal requirements to enforce that!

DP probably has the parts available to repair his old boiler anyway.

Tony Glazier

novicebuteager";p="2041047 said:
I live in a ground floor flat and i need a new combi boiler asap as my 19 year old boiler has leaked water and part unavailable.
the flat above is owned by others,they have not given me permission to attach any flue to their property
novicebuteager";p="2041047 said:
Hmm.Moved recently, have you? Tw@t!

novicebuteager wrote:

United Kingdom
Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:27 pm Post Subject:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well i have relocated my nagging old boiler to a similar outside area.
Peace and quiet reigns again, anyone interested in taking this nagging boiler off my hands for a small fee.
Good for keeping stray animals and burglars away.

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2025924#2025924#ixzz1RGnlDLse[/i]

Wow!

A flat with no external walls and thus no windows except in the kitchen!

Sounds very much as the poster is residing in a local Psychiatric unit.

Is the answer yes and no,
50-50 chance of getting it right this time round ;)

There is something very odd about what this OP is doing!

This is what he recently said elsewhere!

Well i have relocated my nagging old boiler to a similar outside area.

Peace and quiet reigns again, anyone interested in taking this nagging boiler off my hands for a small fee.

Good for keeping stray animals and burglars away.

Perhaps he has TWO kitchens with the only windows in the flat?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back