Question about boiler/shower combo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I've got a Ferroli combi boiler, a Modena 80.

I would like to convert a bedroom into a second bathroom.

The first bathroom has an electric shower that obviously runs from the cold feed. I was hoping to run the new shower in the second bathroom from the boiler, so a mains fed shower, the more powerful the better - but I can't seem to get any sense from what I've read as to whether the Ferroli will be up to running a shower.

I don't know what part the overall water pressure plays, the mixer hair rinser runs quite tidily - and whether we would be able to run both at the same time (because one would come from hot feed and another from cold) - running both together is the end goal, that way we can all get ready in the morning without a queue forming outside the bog.

Am I looking at a new boiler (maybe a system one?), or would some form of pump do the job?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions (or questions) you might have.

Sponsored Links
Any secondary demand on water from the combi, will reduce one of the other outlets heat demand.
You can certainly install a thermostatic shower on the combi, but you will not get constant hot water when two or more outlets are on demand

It's not essential, it all depends on the demand. I have a combi and we have 2 bathrooms and a kitchen and it is fine. Mainly because I use my downstairs bathroom whilst everyone else is still in bed, my wife and kids use the upstairs bathroom when they get up. Admittedly it might get trickier as they get older but as long as your not all trying to take a shower at the same time it's fine for us - how long does anyone spend in the shower anyway!?

Sponsored Links
My kids are 9 and 6, it's already rush hour in the lav first thing. It would be nice to have the reading room back once we've got the second lav installed if nothing else.

I do like a hard shower, I'm worried the 24kw Ferroli won't be able to handle it when combined with the water pressure. I get about 3-4l of hot water a minute from the hot tap in the kitchen (which is downstairs, so presumably gravity helps with that?), I'm not sure if that would translate into an insignificant dribble when turned into a shower upstairs.

I'm guessing that the flow rate being shared (if they are both drawing from the cold at the same time) will make a nonsense of a thermostatic shower (and the electric one that it was sharing the water with)?

If a cylinder is required, that means a system boiler these days doesn't it? No messing around installing tanks in the loft and so on?

Unvented system would provide mains hot water, no tank needed, your current boiler could be used to heat the cylinder. You would need to find a space for the cylinder of course.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back