Question about dado/picture rail.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.

Just wondering whether it's OK to have dado rail on one wall only in a room? I know it's meant to go around the whole room but that won't work for me so I'm just wondering whether anyone has seen it on one wall only or will it look silly?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
It wouldn't look any sillier than on all walls.

Sponsored Links
If you like. The reason for dado rails was to stop chair backs damaging walls.

you might get away with it if you add tgv boarding to that 1 wall and really make it a feature wall,but as above just having 1 wall dadoed will look a tad em crap.

Is that tongue and groove boarding?

That might be an idea actually.

Basically I'm decorating a bedroom that will have a bed against a wall and I want to protect that wall as regular paint will get discoloured and look tacky after a while with someone sleeping against it. Original idea was to have dado rail and bottom half with hard wearing wallpaper.

Is that stuff (TGV boarding) hard to install?

correct,tongue and grove with a v in it so once together it forms a v joint.
there are various ways of doing this sort of install.
batten the walls and then tgv with the dado forming a capping.
ply the wall complete then tgv and then dado.
im sure if you do a search on you tube or the likes there should be a pictorial for you to see.?

Purely a passing thought but MDF panels are available instead of the T&G stuff, they look quite acceptable and take a good paint finish.
John :)

Thanks for the advice guys. I will look this up as a quick search shows the timber cladding is actually quite cheap. I'll have a look at some photos and see if I like how it looks and if it would work in the room. Could be my best bet as it will be far more robust than any wallpaper I was considering.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back