Question about ELI

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just read a PIR and it states that there is no means of earthing (TT supply with no earth rod). But it also says that the External Loop Impedance is measured at 648ohms. How did they measure that with no supplied earth?

Sponsored Links
Maybe off the incomming water, gas or oil supply? (Which acts as an earth rod)

None of these are allowed to supply the property with an earth.

Dont see many TT's around here - are those without earth rods common?

They should have recorded it as a Zdb, not a Ze.......but this is a little anal.

Sponsored Links
We see many old school TT's here, most still with the obsolete Voltage Operated ELCB's.......with an earth conductor going to an unknown destination......or to the front door......where it is chopped!

As it aint a Ze - The Ze is external, and if there is no rod.....there is no external ;)

Lectrician said:
As it aint a Ze - The Ze is external, and if there is no rod.....there is no external ;)

I disagree - if there is a 'reading' of 648 ohms then there must be a path to the Tx somewhere (albeit high) and as the Tx is external then this is the external loop impedance ie Ze...... ;)

Nope. Don't agree.

Yes, there is an external impedance of some sort. But it was not designed for the DB, it is in effect most likely 'back feeding'.

I am going by what we are instructed to put on a Periodic Report of an installation with no true earth electrode by the NIC. (yes, they don't make the rules, but this one makes plenty of sence to me).

The Ze is formed by the MAIN EARTHING CONDUCTOR back the MAIN EARTHING TERMINAL and then finds a sweet route back to the sub.

Zdb = Earth loop impedence at the dist board.

Ze = External earth loop impedence.

Ah riccle - It may be an NIC guideline, but it is also an obvious and staright forward assesment.

You cannot have an external loop impedance if one has not been DELIBERATELY constructed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back