Question about light fitting wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have taken down a fluorescent light from the kitchen. I am replacing it with a spot rail.
The old style colour wiring from the ceiling is 3 red 3 black and 3 earth.

The wiring connector block in the fitting has pre wired red brown and earth.
There is one switch on the wall.
I presume the cable set goes on to the next like in the circuit. and one other is a switch wire
Do I connect the 3 same colours from the ceiling into the corresponding connectors on the block?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Do I connect the 3 same colours from the ceiling into the corresponding connectors on the block?
Thanks

Not unless you want it to go bang every time you close the switch :LOL: , see the drawing in the forum wiki file for how to wire it, you'll have to identify the switch wire, check back here if you ahve any difficulties

Thanks how do I identify the switch wire?
The connector block on the fitting only has 3 connectors: live neutral and earth so how would I deal with the switch wire?
Thank you

Thanks how do I identify the switch wire?
Do you own a multimeter? daft question but you havent got a bit of red sleeve on one of the black already by any chance have you?...

The connector block on the fitting only has 3 connectors: live neutral and earth so how would I deal with the switch wire?
Thank you

You need a separate bit of connector block for the loop (the 3 red conductors)

Sponsored Links
did one of the black wires have any marking on it, red tape?

I do not have a multimeter and the black wires have no sleeve on.
Obviously not an easy solution I think I'll pay a pro to do it properly
:oops:

if you buy a cheap neon screwdriver you can do it yourself (and a connector block)
basically the three red go together in a single connector block, sometimes they supply a single block with new fittings.
two of the blacks go into the neutral terminal of your new fitting and one of the black goes into the live terminal of your new fitting.

is one of the black wires longer than the others or shorter than the others. or are two of the blacks twisted together or are bent as if they were twisted together?

or you could just try it by trial and error, just make sure breaker is turned off light switch is turned on, try each black combination until it works, using the breaker as the switch. is one of the black wires longer than the others or shorter than the others. or are two of the blacks twisted together or are bent as if they were twisted together?

Please don't do this, it is dangerous.
Beg, borrow or buy a multimeter and do it properly.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:blackswlive

At least "fireman22" has realised the error of his bad advice and has deleted it but only after it was pointed out to him by sparky123.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back