Help... light fitting wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Stupid am I, I removed old fitting without studying the wiring. I currently have 3 wires coming from the ceiling, with 3 reds still together, 3 earth together, and 3 black wires (one of which has a red tag).

I assume the the red tagged black wire is the live, and to put both the other 2 black wires in with the neutral...(leaving the reds together in its own connector block). I was certain that would work... But no lights now work in the whole house... eek. Help

Attachments

• 20200729_162335.jpg
    20200729_162335.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 281
Sponsored Links
I assume the the red tagged black wire is the SWITCHED live, and to put both the other 2 black wires in with the neutral...(leaving the reds together in its own connector block).
That is correct - assuming of course the red sleeve is on the correct black.

I was certain that would work... But no lights now work in the whole house... eek. Help
Have you blown a fuse or tripped a circuit breaker in the consumer unit?

As currently pictured, it won't work. You need to turn off the power, and join the two UNMARKED blacks together in a new, additional terminal block.

This should get the rest of the house working again when you switch the main switch back on again.

Moving on from this (switch the main switch off again!) and then connect the new light:

Neutral to the two blacks I was just talking about (leave them still joined together, as well)

Live to the red-flagged black wire.

All the earths together, and to the light if needed.

Good luck!

Sponsored Links
I love the weekends. At least 5 of these every time gets s a new light and falls prey to the not understanding devil.

Thanks for your responses...(mostly). I'm going to re-attempt what i did before/your advice..(I may have had a loose connection...maybe.. if not that then maybe blown the fuse...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back