Question about Rabbit's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For my Girl's 4th she is getting 2 rabbit's and currently building a large hutch

Dimensions are 2H x 2D X 6L foot

Plus 2H x 2D x 6L foot run underneath so it makes 1 big unit

Q. Does the run need to be larger than the hutch because my design would have the hutch the same size of the run, bear in mind the dimension of my hutch is 24 square foot with the same for the run

any info would be great, plan on getting 2 small lop ears

Sponsored Links
My advice would be to make the run as big as you possibly can.

Sponsored Links
If I understand this right, the hutch will be above the run, covering it completely. This has three consequences: It will block out a lot of daylight, the rabbits will have to climb up into it when they want to sleep and, finally, they will be sleeping in an unnecessarily large space.

None of these conditions are natural for rabbits. They run around and feed in open spaces, they instinctively burrow downwards - or at least sideways - to sleep and they're unlikely to feel safe in such a huge artificial burrow. :confused: :confused: :confused: They might even shun the loft altogether and start digging themselves a basement! :idea: :idea: :idea:

To best mimic their natural environment, put the hutch at the end of the run with one or two rabbit-sized entrance holes and keep it small. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Reason I have opted for 6 X 2 X 2 is this is what the RSPCA recommend

Both me and my partner have been on many websites reading about the necessary care for rabbits and they all seem to be giving different information

The RSPCA also state that the run should be 6 X 4 X 2 so that double the size of the hutch, also have not yet decided if they are to stay indoors or outdoors? with the hutch for when none of us are in the house

A few points from my past experiences with rabbits. Rabbits smell , they eat wood such as furniture, skirting boards etc , the freeze solid if left out during winter and they dont care where they poo.

not yet decided if they are to stay indoors or outdoors? with the hutch for when none of us are in the house

If you're going to leave them unattended, make sure your run is proof against cats and foxes. (A decent wire mesh roof will keep birds out.) Make sure that the rabbits can't tunnel out under the sides - or foxes tunnel in. :!: :!: :!:

thatbloke said:
they dont care where they poo

This is true, but don't be too quick to clean up. Rabbits eat their food twice. :eek: :eek: :eek:

A few points from my past experiences with rabbits. Rabbits smell , they eat wood such as furniture, skirting boards etc , the freeze solid if left out during winter and they dont care where they poo.

If you don't clean them out they will smell, I take it you did not look after yours very well then.

Yes, if you are cruel enough to leave a rabbit outside in the cold of winter they will die a slow agonising death.

Thank you for sharing your cruelty with the rest of us. :rolleyes:

Not sure about the hutch size but one bit of advice i would give you...............................dont have a affair with GLENN CLOSE!!!!!!!!!

I thought this post was going to be about a different kind of rabbit. :oops:

Sponsored Links
Back