Question about Rabbit's

My rabbits live outside all year long, they won't die in winter. They live outside in the wild!

They have the run of garden and just normally laze about on the grass.

PS The 'girls' come out sometimes when I get some nice fresh eggs.

Andy

Your hutch looks quite small in comparison to mine, eventually I would like them to have the un of the garden but for that my garden needs a complete overhaul!!

How much does it cost to keep your chickens? I think eggs are extortionate is that why you have them, cos these rabbits are only the beginning am on a mission to accumulate some pets for my kids cos the youngest is 4 soon so no worry of eyes being poked out, haha

Sponsored Links
My rabbits live outside all year long, they won't die in winter. They live outside in the wild!

In a hutch like that they can be in there all year. Wild rabbits live under ground in deep boroughs and will be fine.

I was of course referring to thatblokes experience of rabbits where they smell due to lack of clean bedding and hutch, and the freezing to death of his rabbit(s) due to poor living conditions. ;)

Sponsored Links
Back to my original question, given that my hutch is 2 X 2 X 6 would a same size run underneath suffice, they cannot have the run of the garden just yet so I need a run but a few websites are saying the run needs to be twice the size of the hutch, that would mean I have to build a 48 square foot run?

Andy

How much does it cost to keep your chickens?

I buy a bag of Layers Pellets, which last approx 10 weeks, we also give them any left over salad, pasta, potatoes, fruit and veg. They also have a rummage in the garden looking for worms. Trouble with chickens is that if they are left too long in the garden, you'll have no plants left.

The eggs are you will ever taste, I can go out to the hen house in the morning and get an egg that is still warm.

I also have a pond with 50 fish, 1 frog and did have a terrapin.

Andy

Andy

How much does it cost to keep your chickens?

I buy a bag of Layers Pellets, which last approx 10 weeks

How much does that bag cost and how many eggs would you get in a 10 week period?

And can you give me your opinion on whether a 2 X 2 X 6 run will suffice for 2 small rabbits

Thanks

How much does that bag cost and how many eggs would you get in a 10 week period?

And can you give me your opinion on whether a 2 X 2 X 6 run will suffice for 2 small rabbits

Thanks

A bag of layers is about £8, in a 10 week period I would get approx 1 egg per chicken per day. I have 3 chickens so it works out to be approx. 210 eggs. :mrgreen:

(My chickens only lay 10 months of the year.)

You can also make a sperate run that you can place in different areas of the garden so that the rabbits can have fresh grass to eat.

Like the one below:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/72-XL-Dog-Chi...et_Supplies_Small_Animals&hash=item4cf1d5b6f5

I think you'll run will be ok, you could always add to the run in the future.

Andy

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
That is SO irresponsible - haven`t you seen Mutant Ninja Hero Turtles - and you being a drain expert too

Hey Nige, you must know me by now, I'm a lover not a fighter, anyway 'Martin' went to the big pond in the sky. I might get anyone, will see.

Andy

Rabbits and Hens/Chickens?

How many have names, and who is going to be eaten?

To my mind, Rabbits are free animals, and free, sustainable food, Hens, only exist for food, either their meat, or eggs, so seems strange to raise them as pets?

So rabbits being the 3rd most popular pet in the country after dogs and cats are in-fact free animals?

I can't wait to see my girls face when she opens the box and see's 2 small fluffy rabbit's, now that is priceless!!

Rabbits are great pets, but they really do need space to exercise. Mine used to have the run of the garden, but they managed to escape into the neighbours veg patch on more than one occasion. They now have their own space which is approx 15' X 12'. They do have a hutch, but they preferred to dig their own burrow and seem quite content. The hutch is just used as a feeding and watering station. Mine live on grass, hay and water with some daily veg and fruit. I found that the commercial foods made them fat and our vet doesn't recommend any of them.

They live outside all year round. Just check the water doesn't freeze during winter and they will be fine.

Sponsored Links
Back