Question - Cedar Shingles on Sterling Board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

With all of the disasters I've already had, I'm surprised it's only now I've thought of joining this forum!

I'm in the process of building a porch, just a small timber one. The initial plan was to use a tiled felt for the roof, so I just stuck up sterling board to lay that onto.

We've now decided to go with cedar shingles. Without thinking I nailed them straight into the sterling board, rather than putting up batons.

I wonder if there are any implications of having done this? Will the nails hold?

Any thoughts much appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
Scottish method is to slate directly onto sarkin boards with no battens! as long as your sterling board is thick enough you will be fine.

Sponsored Links
The sterling board is about 12-15mm thick, I've used stainless steel annular ring nails, so hopefully there's a bit of grip on there.......?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back