Question concerning new 17th edition regs...

P

person

Council have changed pendant to a 2d light in my bathroom instead of a pendant, does this have to be done due to change in the regs?

Sponsored Links
Depends where the pendant was in relation to the bath and or shower.

Depends what you call a pendant and where it is in relation to the bath.
Batten holders are allowed in bathrooms still subject to location.

i do work for the concil, we have to put steam proof 2d light fittings in all the bathrooms we do work on, no matter what size the bathroom is

Sponsored Links
i do work for the concil, we have to put steam proof 2d light fittings in all the bathrooms we do work on, no matter what size the bathroom is

Councils/Local Athorities, money no object. :rolleyes:

A sealed unit is imo better than an open one in any location with steam/condensation. The choice of sealed unit is another matter, a normal ball type one might have been more aesthetically pleasing.

I think it's more to do with building regs rather than electrical ones..
on new builds, at least one fitting has to be of an energy saving type, so either a special pendant that takes a funny lamp, or in most cases, some form of fluorescent is used in the bathrooms where you are less likely to want a lampshade... ( and can't use pendants anyway, must be batten holder type.. ).
the council probably use this spec in rewires on their housing stock too.. ..

Yes I agree that a light fitting that is designed for steamy and moist enviroments is a better solution but any light can be installed in a bathroom providing the lowest connection of conductors is above 2.25m

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back