pendant in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am I right in thinking you can't have a ceiling pendant light in any zone of a bathroom?

we are converting a large cupboards into a bathroom and have added a window. Was going to use existing light pendant which it has to be said is 2.8m high so light bulb change bit of a hassle. About to connect ext fan to loop in pendant and questioned if pendant will be allowed.

Sponsored Links
The height is OK, as long as it is not above a bath or shower it is outside the zones (provided you mean the pendant height, not the ceiling height if greater).

But zones apart, IIIRC lampholders must be shrouded. I haven't seen a pendant lampholder in a bathroom in years, though I can't find a regulation on it (sorry :oops: ). It is usual to to have an enclosed fitting (or occasionally a batten holder with H.O. skirt). As you won't want to keep changing bulbs, a couple of CFLs will be better.

If there is going to be a shower then water may get squirted about so an enclosed fitting is preferable.

Maybe someone else knows a regulation or guideline?

thanks
I assume when you suggest an enclosed fitting you mean those wall/ceiling lights that look like alien spaceships!
Do these type of enclosed lights have the loop in system or is it better to feed it all from JB's or a besa box in the loft above.

what are CFL's?

Many thanks.

They generally have a connector block inside.

CFLs are Compact Fluorescent Lamps.

Appearance varies, though with a plain lamp, people rarely notice what it looks like.

Sponsored Links
As far as I know, you can have a batten lampholder or pendant drop in a bathroom as long as it is Z3 or OTZ.

As far as HO skirt goes, that was regulation in the 15th, but not sure now.

securespark said:
...As far as HO skirt goes, that was regulation in the 15th, but not sure now.

I'm as old as I look :LOL:

You and me both, kid!

I've even got a copy of the 14th at home!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back