Pendant and shade not suitable for bathrooms?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We bought this to find that the instructions say it's not suitable for use in bathrooms. It's just a glass shade and pendant fitting, pretty much the same as we have fitted currently (probably been there for years, before we moved in).

http://www.diy.com/departments/hester-bubble-glass-pendant-ceiling-light/1468090_BQ.prd

Do bathroom pendants have to be a certain spec? Are they just being overcautious, or is this a 'you will die' warning?

Sponsored Links
As the lampholder is not enclosed, it does not offer the degree of ingress protection required for the location.
You would be expecting at least an IP44 rating.

Sponsored Links
Fittings used in bathrooms need to be able to withstand prolonged periods of high humidity, which is not covered by the IP rating.

So it would be okay from an IP44 perspective because of where it's situated (far enough away from water sources) but we shouldn't risk it because it might not cope with the humidity?

If we replace the pendant with a bathroom spec one I presume we're okay to use the glass shade itself? (if indeed something made of clear glass can be considered a shade)

The bathroom zones, and what can go in each, can be seen here. .... Note the height requirements. This measurement will apply to where your pendant lamp holder will hang.
Indeed, but I personally feel that one needs to apply common sense in applying those height requirements.

What presumably really matters is 'touchability' and, even though it might be reg-compliant, my son-in-law (to name but one) could easily touch something at 2.25m above FFL, even if he were standing on the floor - and more so if he were standing in a bath or shower tray. Hence, for once, I'm inclined to think that this particular regulation is perhaps not as 'conservative' as it maybe could be.

Kind Regards, John

If you're doing electrical work in the excessively tall children's showering room, you probably would take that into account! Adults probably know better then to change a light bulb while showering ;)

If you're doing electrical work in the excessively tall children's showering room, you probably would take that into account! Adults probably know better then to change a light bulb while showering ;)
From what I understand, my S-I-L was probably already tall enough at an age when he would not have been immune from doing silly things :)

However, the regs really should take into account the possibility of future occupiers/visitors of unknown height/age, so (given how cautious the regs usually are), I'm still a little surprised that they haven't imposed 'tighter' requirements. In any event, the reg is a bit silly, anyway, in talking about height above FFL - many baths and shower trays are significantly above FFL, so even 'ordinary' people might well be able to touch something at 2.25m above FFL when standing in it!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back