Question for the Gas Guy's Re Condemned Gas Fire

Olly, that us what I am trying to, and did, say. Because BG etc do not do the "remedials", the client is left to make other arrangements. Certainly loading ladders and climbing a roof to clear a terminal are not part pf a standard service, and charges would apply. But I, and I am sure most others, do offer that service. Once a job is started, it is generally only right (IMO) to at least offer to take further steps. BG's T&C's state the extent of the "service", but, frankly, we all know that few people actually read them.

I avoid being a regular BG knocker. We know there will always be differences of opinions on any given job - even here (or on the CC) a fairly simple question can result in a dozen pages! But my advice to not use BG for fire servicing is based on the fact that as soon as a job goes "off track", BG abandon the job and customer, as in this case.

Also, depending in the contract, some are really poor value. When I had a fire shop, every Autumn we would get gas fire sales from disgruntled BG customers. The fire was typically service in the summer, but failed to operate at the start of the heating season. Because the call back period had expired, they were quoted a fee for a repair.The figure generally quoted to us by the client was a touch over £130. I never did discover whether this was for the whole repair, or, as most customers believed, a "call out" charge. They were generally of the belief that their annual fee covered repairs, in the same way as the heating contract did, so were shocked at the extra cost. Often, they talked themselves into ditching the fire and buying a new one.

Now, even I do not necessarily provide free repairs ages after a service, but I would listen to the problem, and depending on the issue, may rectify free of charge, or at a severely reduced rate - particularly if the issue was at the start of the season. I do appreciate, though, that this approach is difficult for a big company. Doing the contract work, I did find that some contracts included on going repairs, but the whole picture is confusing.

OP: Find a local guy registered for fires AND has experience of maintaining and repairing them. Before strippiong flues, have him retest the fire. If he

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
nope they openly promote wanting fires onto contract good profit in it for them especially when the people take fire out and forget to cancel contract . or pay a contractor 20 quid to service it whilst charging the cust around 60/70 quid
Firemant get off the internet you have 2 mens work to do ;)

Thanks everyone for your input. Some interesting points have been raised. I will follow up on some of the suggestions before making a decision.

nope they openly promote wanting fires onto contract good profit in it for them especially when the people take fire out and forget to cancel contract . or pay a contractor 20 quid to service it whilst charging the cust around 60/70 quid
Firemant get off the internet you have 2 mens work to do ;)

12.30 start. (y)

BG like other large companies have some really good and some really bad engineers. I know some good and they offten tell me about the bad which normally makes me laugh and sometimes alittle shocked.

Large companies are capable of covering up mistakes quite easy as its there other engineers that offten attend the issue, seen it myself sadly.

I wasn't intending to knock the fitters. I know they (like many trades) are given such high targets that corners have to be cut if you want to earn your money/get home at the end of the day. My son had BG in to change his heating system fairly radically, BG booked it to the fitter as 2 days work but it took 5 in the end . Bloke had no help with the manhandling, other people did the electrics and roofing repairs where the old asbestos flue had been taken out by the BG fitter using no safety equipment. Felt really sorry for him , he already had a bad back and his lungs mightn't be too good in a few years

There's no way a BG engineer would have removed an asbestos flue.

Some real BG haters on this forum xD why would they want to condemn a fire when they can't sell a new one as they don't even sell them! They make easy money off fires. And targets to condemn stuff? Having a laugh.
There's always going to be some bellends who go around trying to sell you a new boiler for commission but the majority are honest.

There's no way a BG engineer would have removed an asbestos flue.

He cut it in the loft with a reciprocating saw and smashed a bit off the old flue in the kitchen with a wrench ..... I did suggest it wouldn't be good for his health but he said that's the pressure they are put under

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back