Gas Fire & Capped Flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, sorry I'm new to this and need some help for a colleague. I apologise if I'm posting in the wrong forum, but this seemed most logical!

2 years ago she had a gas fire fitted by a company, she raised concern at the time that the flue was capped. She was told a smoke test would be carried out and highlight any problems before installation.

A smoke test was then carried out and the flue passed, so the fire was installed

A recent smoke test has been carried out by a different engineer from the same company and it failed. The engineer advised her not to use the fire.

The company have offered her a £300 electric fire as a replacement for her £800 gas fire. This fire is her only source of heating so an electric fire would be far too costly to run, and the company have said it's too expensive to sort the flue out.

Here are my questions:

1. Should a gas fire be used with a capped Flue
2. Are there any regulations relating to point 1?
3. Can a flu simply stop extracting gas efficiently over 2 years?
4. Any other points I should know about?

I appreciate any help you can offer!

Thanks

Chris

Sponsored Links
1 &2, check the electric fire installation instructions.

3 Yes, even a change in the weather can make a difference. Birds, nests and loose bricks can also be responsible.

Was the chimney swept before installing the gas fire? To do so now might illuminate/solve the problem.

A proper flue test requires the fire to be taken out, then the flue heated for 10 or 20 minutes. Was that done?

The cap on the flue is probably a red herring as the fire was in use for 2 years. A smoke pellet is used to determine which chimney connects to which fireplace.

The company that installed the gas fire should have checked that the flue and terminal were sound and of an acceptable type prior to installation.

If the current problem with the flue is due to something that should have been identified at the time of installation (such as a capped-off flue) then there are grounds for a claim against the company.

Perhaps it would be best to get an independent opinion from another Registered Gas Installer (with experience with gas fires and flues).

Why would a company offer an a £300 fire as a replacement two years later unless they knew they had dropped a *******, if it`s a expensive flue problem then it`s not in need of a simple sweeping . Have saw a fire fitted in a completly capped flue in use for 6 months how the hell people didn`t die god knows.And didn`t get noticed for giving fumes another prob brought it to light. Ask the company who installed it for a report on exactly what is the fault with flue. Then tell them after you get it you are gettin in touch with corgi to send an independent engineer to do a report. See if they refund all the money with the possibility of being riddored. If they are at fault you can always take them to the small claims court

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies everyone, have now been in touch with Corgi and tehy are sending an engineeer out tonight to disconnect it as it isn't safe.

They are then going to arrange for another corgi engineer to come out and assess it. Hopefully this will provide enough evidence to either get the problem sorted, or get the company that provided and installed the fire in the first place in enough hot water for a compensation claim.

Cheers

Chris

To translate,

when they put the phone down from your call they rang the emergency service provider who will respond very fast and turn off all your gas if you are out or cap off the appliance if you are in. If they had to dig up the path to cut you off they will expect you to pay for reconnection later.

Corgi inspector will probably look at the job in due course and ask the installers to attend with him after he has had a look for himself, if he sees anything wrong.

Actually if you phone any gas fitter and talk about something that may be spillage he should give you the emergency advise and if he can't attend imediately he should call Emergency provider so they can imediately respond and if required cut off the supply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back