Question needs answering please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:?:

Next door neighbours look like there are going to be putting down decking directly outside their leanto, now ok, not a problem, but, the next door exsisting patio is 2 feet higher than ours, the gardens are at different levels as we are on a slight slop, we already have a 6ft high fence there, I am now wondering, that is they decide to lay decking from the step that comes from their leanto, which is about 2ft high, this means that the decking they are going to lay is going to be 2ft high all over, and I know for a fact this will infrine even more on our privacy onto our exstention window and patio area, where i sunbathe.

So my question for anyone in the know, is there restrictions on how high you can lay decking to??, I am already in the bad books with them, because they built their leanto intailly without having planning permisiion and we contacted council after them saying it was going through, which we found out it wasnt!, this is not going to please my husband at all, as he already feels we have lost some privacy from having there leanto butting out far, which they got planning for anyway after all the dishonesty from trying to build without permission in the first place. I am not allowed to put anything higher that 6ft on my boundery, so its not even an option to put up a higher fence, could put trellis there and plants, but thats not an instant affect is it, I have already put screening alongside the lower part of my fencing, thats another story and a another reason.

Thanks guys

Sponsored Links
Ring the planning department first as it's free, might be an idea to take a rough drawing with you.

Sponsored Links
have a word with your neighbours - bet they haven't even thought how this is going to effect your garden - you never know they might be willing to come to a compromise without the need of rushing to get legal advice....

thanks King, but ever since the first site whoo haa over the ilegal exstension that next door have put up, they have chosen to not talk with us, they basiclly refuse to even aknowledge us, when the work last year was carried out on new leanto, the builders damaged the fence, and we went and knocked on their door, all calm etc to tell them so, they basically just ignored us, didnt say a word after what we informed them of and shut the door on me, that how nice they are, not, so I really do not want to put myself in that posistion ever again. So I am not sure how to play this at all.

Masona, thanks forthat advise, think thats the best option to be honest, trouble is, i know its going to be high decking, i can t feel it,and that means troubles ahead, my hubby is already not pleased with them as it is, and this is going to cause more friction, and if it turns out by planning dept that its too high and infringes on our privacy, that is going to cause a whole lot more dirty long staring looks from next door and other stuff they do, this is one of the reasons i want to move, feel so uncomfortable living next door to them, we should have a forum dedicated to neighbours troubles, just cant believe what luck we have had with ours, the old neighbours where angels compared to these. Urrrggghh.

Cheers guys

davesgirl said:
thanks King, but ever since the first site whoo haa over the ilegal exstension that next door have put up, they have chosen to not talk with us

oh yeah! - sorry i forgot about that.

take em to the cleaners.... then move :evil:

At the end of the day, if they have broken the building or planning regulations, you don't have to deal with it as BCO will. I suppose another option is to write a letter to them explaining to them if we can sort it out between us, if they won't listen, then they have given you no choice but go to BCO and will be their fault for not listening but at least you have given them a chance.

Just say to them "Do you rather we can sort it out ourselves or let the BCO deal with it?"

The problem I can see, you may have problem selling the property if it's overlooked by your neighbour.

i dont think anyone has any right to privacy, so i dont think you should go down that avenue. maybe plant a couple of trees or thorn bushes ;)

you dont have a right to privacy but you do have a right to the peaceful enjoyment of your property (lawyers speak) It is an absolute legal minefield, so local council, solicitor or leylandii (block out their sunlight) :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back