Question re payment plan for a doors, windows and warm roof rebuild on a garden room.

They probably have to pay for the Prefix Hybrid Warm Roof upfront.

I used to build timber orangeries, we sometimes bought in the joinery and the supplier wanted big deposits up front, so that’s what we charged our customer.

As I said, you would be better doing a proper extension, then you wouldn’t have this big deposit scenario.
Why would building an extension not require big deposit scenario?

Sponsored Links
Just tell the builder you want a bigger last stage payment, so that you can be happy with the work before final payment.

He will either agree, or you will have to find somebody else.

Same with initial deposit

You can make any terms you want, you are the paying customer. But Nobody has to accept them.
Yeah I am planning to do exactly that but the company wants to meet f2f again (4th time) just to discuss that issue.

On another note it seems strange every time we have a small discussion we have to meet f2f and nothing is ever confirmed via email...

Last edited:
Why would building an extension not require big deposit scenario?
because building an extension does not require ordering bespoke materials with long lead times in the early stages. To start the builder probably only needs to order digger, dumper 3 days before starting -thats a £500 cost upfront

most builders will arrange a payment schedule that is dictated by reaching certain milestones, for example: pouring of foundation, walls to roof plate, roof sealed in, windows and doors in, etc

the other reason is project length, a prefix hybrid warm roof is probably only 2 weeks work max and they would need to have ordered and paid for the materials before the start date on site.

Yeah I am planning to do exactly that but the company wants to meet just to discuss that f2f again (4th time). It seems strange to me every time we have a small discussion we have to meet f2f and nothing is ever confirmed via email...
that would concern me

site visits are only required when site details are needed

If you want to change the payment schedule, you are the customer and you have a right to ask. The company has a right to decline and may stick with their terms and you may choose to not proceed. If you go ahead, you must have the payment schedule in writing and a detailed quotation with scope of works. Do not accept verbal agreements

Sponsored Links
They probably have to pay for the Prefix Hybrid Warm Roof upfront.

I used to build timber orangeries, we sometimes bought in the joinery and the supplier wanted big deposits up front, so that’s what we charged our customer.

As I said, you would be better doing a proper extension, then you wouldn’t have this big deposit scenario.
@Notch7 We would be happy to go with extension and we explored this option in the past but we were not able to confirm whether extension would provide us what we wanted here as we would be over glazing it and going into SAP territory (to get BC sign off) meaning escalating costs.

The reason for over glazing is that our aim is to maximise the views from that space being in the centre of the garden therefore we do not want solid walls on any of the sides.

We did not think we could go that route unless we went with triple glazing and considerable amounts of insulation in the floor and roof (as there would be almost no walls) and even that could prove to be insufficient with that amount of glazing. I know there are other variables to consider like orientation of the extension being south east facing and a potential solar gain playing into the SAP calcs. However, it is still quiet unreasonable to expect it would pass without making a lot of other improvement around the house but maybe we are wrong?

Our expectations from that space are (what I am describing above) really to have a garden room to enjoy the panoramic garden and surrounding areas views. We think that is the exact purpose these exist in these requirements and configurations.

Another thing is we do not also need more all year round living space on the ground floor either.

While it is an expensive refurbishment of "just" a garden room which may not add a lot of value to the house we still think it is the best option here (next to demolishing it and just installing external doors between the living room and the said garden room as the current wooden framing and glazing plus the polycarbonate roof of the garden room are on their last legs). We could potentially change our mind if we could achieve the same with building an extension within a reasonable budget to add value to the house.

Let me know what you think.

Last edited:
I suppose doors and windows is different to bricks or tiles. If the customer doesn't pay for them they could be re-used or returned, but doors or windows are made to order, so the builder would be left massively out of pocket.

Judgement required then.

Hire a QS and have the job calculated for materials and schedules. This will cost you a few £00 but is worth every penny
Then you purchase the materials to be available as per building schedule. This protects you and ensures that the contractor is not cashflow financing your project.
The schedule is written down and agreed (milestones/timelines) so you both have copies. At the ned of each stage, make the relevant payment
If you don't have a written and signed contract then you are financially irresponsible
I would also add a bonus to the contract for completion to agreed schedule. This way you can also include a penalty payment for being over schedule.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back