Question re supporting beam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm shortly getting a new roof on my small 2 bed terrace house with a valley roof. There's been a been a leak at the front of the house and it's hard to know for how long before I moved in water has been coming through.

If, when the roof is removed, the builder finds the central supporting timber beam needs replacing, roughly how much would replacing that cost? I know it might depend on a number of factors, but all I'm after is a rough figure as I doubt that eventuality would have been included in the quote.

Out of interest, would the beam run from one side of the house to the other, or is it likely to be in 2 sections?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Sorry if the timber I referred to wasn't clear, but it's the central beam which supports the valley roof. Anyway, I've spoken to my roofer and he took into account the likely need to replace this beam in the quote, so panic over.

Sponsored Links
The central beam supporting a valley - the valley rafter would be a massive undertaking to replace, and costly too - I can't see how anyone could include this in a price as it would be unnecessary and potentially price them out of the job.

It would also be very rare for any structural roof timber to require replacement - so you need to be sure that the work really needs doing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back