question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am asking this question on behalf of my elderly parents who live abroad.

They have a retirement property here which they now wish to rent.

a) do they need a certificate to prove electric safety of the flat

b) does the flat's electrics need to be brough up to the latest regs

c) both of the above?

Regards,

Sponsored Links
It is the landlord's responsibility to ensure the electrical system is safe, to me that would mean that a full PIR should be carried out by a competent electrician. I am not aware of any specific requirements in the law as to the minimum steps the landlord must undertake to ensure electrical safety, though that is not to say they don't exist.

A PIR (Periodic Inspection Report) will see that the entire electrical installation is checked and any problems reported back along with their severity. IMO any landlord that doesn't have such a check carried out is leaving themselves wide open to prosecution, should the tenants ever have an accident due to the electrical installation at the property.

There is no requirement for the entire system to be bought up to the latest regs as they are retrospective, but if the installation is aging and due for replacement then this will be bought up in the PIR, and appropriate action advised by your electrician. If you don't have at least the basics such as RCD protection then a minimum of a consumer unit upgrade would be strongly advisable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back