Questions : - installing solid/engineered wood floor on top of parquet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a 70s house and would like to modernise the floor with wide wooden boards. i currently have a 5 fingered parquet stuck down with i think bitumen to concrete floor.

i am looking at solid or engineered wood flooring.
what should i be looking at doing or prepping to add this type of floor?

the existing parquet is very solid and stuck down well.
D96DCF05-60DF-4FA4-B94F-2E8E4A82BECE.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
5 fingered parquet.JPG

any advice please
TIA

Sponsored Links
90% chance it won't have a damp proof membrane so laying any wood above it could cause moisture problems in the future and the parquet will lift as you are stopping them breathing.

90% chance it won't have a damp proof membrane so laying any wood above it could cause moisture problems in the future and the parquet will lift as you are stopping them breathing.
thanks for your reply

what do you suggest? besides keeping the parquet as the finish.
what method should i use?
thanks again

You could take a risk and float a engineered wood ontop with a underlay as it's your house.
But really take them up.
Grind off old adhesive.
2 coat expoxy Dpm
Prime & screed the floor
Lay new wood flooring.

Or go for a carpet with a breathable underlay.

Sponsored Links
You could take a risk and float a engineered wood ontop with a underlay as it's your house.
But really take them up.
Grind off old adhesive.
2 coat expoxy Dpm
Prime & screed the floor
Lay new wood flooring.

Or go for a carpet with a breathable underlay.
Hmm ok I wonder if I buy a moisture meter and take some readings on the parquet I'm hoping this will indicate if I can lay engineered flooring with the underlay?
Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back