Questions on Economy 7 System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Morning All

I am hoping that someone can help me ?

A friend of mine has move into a flat with I believe Economy 7 heating and hot water. The agent did not bother to explain how the system worked - chances are they did not know nor care ! My friend has the electric heaters switched off as we are in summer and uses very little hot water as for some reason there is an electric shower fitted ?? She does not use the bath. Her bills are very expensive. It could be that she is not reporting the meter readings correctly ? Sh
pic 2.jpg
pic 3.jpg

pic 1.jpg

At this time I am assuming it is wired correctly ( I know a bold statement ! ) so how do you take the meter readings. I have read on this site that this set up is unique to Scottish Energy - 2 meters which provide 3 readings ??

Also the Water Heating Boost Control is that exactly what it is ? If the hot water in the tank needs boosting at any time, this is done via this control box ? Do you switch it to TIMED then turn the control knob so as to give boost up to 2 hrs ? She has never used this. It was me who turned this dial when I was looking at the system for her.

Many thanks in advance for any assistance.

Sponsored Links
The hot water control should be left at 'timed' permanently, it will the switch on at whatever times the energy supplier has decided are the cheaper rates.
Once heated, the thermostat in the cylinder will switch it off, so you are only heating the water that's actually used.

Boost will use the most expensive electricity available, only used if for some reason there is no hot water and more is required immediately.
It's just a mechanical timer that turns on for up to 2 hours.

The meter reading for the small meter is just what's on the display.
The other one will need the blue button pressing to see the 2 readings.
The orange boost button is unrelated and won't do anything.

Many thanks - was wondering why there are 2 meters that provide a total of 3 meter reading ? Can any one help ?

That arrangement was usually hot water, heating, everything else. Water and heating being timed by the energy supplier, everything else was not.
There are no 3 rate meters of that type, so it's 2 separate devices.

It's an outdated system which is probably best got rid of.

Sponsored Links
Ahh Flameport I understand now. So the E7 meter gives readings for DHW and Electrical Heating Panels, while the other single phase meter is for all the other electrical energy usage.

How do you read and report the meter readings to the supplier ?

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back