Questions on GJD Emerald, CCTV and Elite PIRs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I currently live in a house that used to belong to an alarms fitter. He had two sensors which, from the ground, I'd guess at being Opal XLs running into an Emerald controller that produces a tone and at night a tone and lights nearby floodlights. As well as the two sensors the Emerald also has 2 additonal wires going to the 12V + and - terminals where a piezo buzzer can go. There is no secondary buzzer in the house and I wondered what else could he have wired in here?

I'm moving shortly and am looking to build a similar system. I have the Emerald and an Elite which I want to switch on a DVR or video recorder for the duration of the flood lights being on. I also hope to have a bullet CCTV "always on".

Looking at the diagrams for the Elite it suggests using 8 core alarm cable. Am I right in thinking 4 cables go to the Emerald which then returns a signal to switch on or off the other connections (CCTV and video)? If so would it not be preferable to use 2 sets of 4 core alarm cable or even more? The reason I ask is I am looking to have the recorder located in a downstairs cupboard, the CCTV running to my (probably upstairs bedroom PC) and the Emerald at the top of the stairs.

Any points of view (and yes I know its a basic question, and I do possess a multimeter ;) ) about setting up CCTV, DVR cards for PCs Vs DVR 1-channel recorders Vs video recorders, etc, etc would be gratefully received

Cheers

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back