Quick check on a chimey lining quote...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope this is in the right forum, I just want to check that this quote is in the right region before we go ahead with the work.

A bit of background first, we have a solid fuel back boiler that has been in place for at least 10 years, probably longer in our house that we bought just over two years back. I had the chimney swept last year, the sweep swept it from the bottom didn’t really check anything and took his £60 and left.

I didn't really like the man so this year called around and got a different sweep in. This time he swept the chimney from the bottom down and then did a smoke test. He was able to see the smoke out of the wrong chimneys on the roof (ours + neighbours) and was able to see leakage from the pointing. There was also significant back flow into the room. He also mentioned that there is no cowl in place.

Hes quoted £1120 all in to re-point the chimney, fit a cowl (a spinning one as we are pretty exposed where we are?), fit a flexible solid fuel liner that's a strong grade, insulate between the liner and chimney, open the chimney above the mantle place in the living room and fix the liner to the boiler then make good the plaster work in the living room and finally replace the seals on the boiler doors. Work guaranteed for 10 years.

He reckons about 1/2 day to a days work for him plus his son.

Personally I'm happy with the quote and like the man and I was impressed with his thoroughness when he swept the chimney. I'm reluctant to get more quotes for the work as I am happy for him to do the work so don’t want to waste other tradesman’s time. However its a lot of money, especially as my wife is due with our first child in a few months time so money is tight! Can I just ask that this quote is in the right ball park for the work listed above?

And yes, if day time TV didn’t tell me everyone was out to rob me I wouldn’t be worried!

Thanks,

David.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a bargain to me.

Typical Scotsman counting the poonds, shillings and pence. :p

1. No way could it be done in 1/2 a day.

2. Precisely, what kind of liner and what kind of insulation?
The cowl must match the s/f appliance.

3. If smoke can enter your neighbour's flue, then fumes from your neighbour can enter your flue - the flue must be video'd and repaired.

4. StackPointing req's roof ladder(s), grinding out, and probably re-flaunching because if the pointing has perished then odds on that the flaunching has also gone.

5. Has the s/f appliance been maintained?

noseall - with a kid on the way I count every penny! :D

1. No way could it be done in 1/2 a day.

I did wonder about that myself - I thought its easily a day perhaps a bit more, but then the builder knows the area and has done work in similar houses so I guess he knows what to expect. Also I'm not expecting 100% perfect plaster work in the living room above the chimney breast - we didnt remove the lining paper in this room when we moved in as all the other rooms the plaster was in a horrific state and we suspect the living room to be the same. I have (I hope) reasonable expectations of it being no worse than when he started but wouldn't expect a the whole wall re-plastered etc.

2. Precisely, what kind of liner and what kind of insulation?

I believe he said vermiculite for the insulation, chips that you pour from the top round the liner? The liner is for solid fuels and he said it would be the thicker of the two that he uses as he finds it lasts longer and is a better product. He described it coming with a cone on it that makes it easier to feed down with damaging the liner if that helps.

The cowl must match the s/f appliance.

I'm not sure how I tell the difference here - on this one I think I'll have to go with trusting the builder. He described it as powder coated for long life span and it has a spinning feature to reduce down drafts.

3. If smoke can enter your neighbour's flue, then fumes from your neighbour can enter your flue - the flue must be video'd and repaired.

Our neighbours don’t use the chimneys on their side, they have an oil boiler with the boiler out the back of the property. All their chimneys are sealed in their property. Does the chimney need video'd as we know its not ideal and needs lined?

4. StackPointing req's roof ladder(s), grinding out, and probably re-flaunching because if the pointing has perished then odds on that the flaunching has also gone.

After a quick Google to see what flaunching was (great word!) he did mention that this needs work as well. He will be doing that whiles hes up there. He used roof ladders when he was here to sweep the chimney (the pitch on my roof makes it pretty slippy so I would be pretty reluctant to let anyone up without roof ladders anyway).

5. Has the s/f appliance been maintained?

It has as long as we have been in the house, throat plate kept clean and sides etc kept clean. As its the only source of heat in the house and not a decorative item it does get used pretty much 24/7 over winter so the enamel on the doors etc is a bit chipped and I suspect the fire bricks could do with renewing as they look a bit worn. What else should we be doing?

Thanks for all the help so far!

David.

Sponsored Links
1. I dont like repeating myself, it feels as tho i'm trying to control.
However, It will take far more than 1/2 a day.

2. Patch plastering or full wall, if done by a professional, then a professional finish is req'd.

3. Your answer to Q2 ref the liner, defines nothing.

4. It's a cash transaction, not a matter of trust.

5. Maybe the neighbour's flue is redundant now, but future occupants might send gas fumes up it.

6. How can the damaged areas be located unless a camera goes down.
You will also have proof and a copy of record.

Thanks for all the replies - my internet connection has been up and down as well (country village) - but the works now done.

For what its worth it was 904 grade steel. Neighbours are a council property and current tenants family have been in the house from new and have no plans to move. The chimneys are all blocked in their house with air bricks and they are aware of issues. There is no mains gas here and next door use oil with an outside boiler.

Chimney was inspected and only very small holes found, just enough to fail the test and not practical to fix without opening whole chimney so liner only way to resolve.

Flaunching and pointing done.

The work ended up taking nearly a full day but was very neat. Finish in living room is at least as good as when he started!

Relevant certificates issued.

Thanks again!

David.

Thank you so much for coming back and telling us what happened next - few do.
I am glad that you are satisfied with the work.

1. However, this is a forum of public record so a few final points from my side:

2. 904 steel in a double liner is first class.

3. All solid fuel fumes contain CO - Regs are quite specific about fumes cross connecting: it's not allowed.
Do both sides have CO detectors?

4. How were the "very small holes" revealed if a camera was not used?

5. With the other work, and the manpower, it would be very difficult to properly rake out and point up a stack and re-flaunch it in one day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back