quick cooker installation question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just brought a new built in cooker comes with moulded plug in 1mm cable. rated at max 2400w. taken the old one out and theres 2 6mm cables behind there one going into the hob and one for the cooker. ive chopped the moulded plug off the new cooker and and ratchet crimped the 1mm to the 6mm supply. just wanted to know that its alright basically before i put it back in?

Sponsored Links
snoopdogno.gif

What do you think the manufacturer put that (FUSED) plug on the end of the cable for?

Put it (or another one) back, with the cirrect sized fuse in it. Then you need to find a socket to plug it in to.

(HINT) You may be able to put a socket where the old cooker was connected.

right thats not a problem... theres a socket on the cooker isolater switch. the cable that wont be used is plastered into the wall and then tiled above, can i cap it off? i know the ideal way would be to take the cable out but it would stilll be there for future use.. thanks

can't you fit a single socket on the outgoing cable of the cooker panel?
that way the new socket would be out of sight ie behind the cooker/in a cupboard; and the socket on the cooker switch will be free for something else.

Sponsored Links
In my younger days I left cables for future use but as time went on I realised no one ever uses an old cable which did not have power on it as they don't know if it is connected to any junction boxes and what else may become live when you use it.

All these old cables do is cause confusion when trying to trace things. Same goes for unused pipes.

So you may as well rip all unused cables out there is no point in leaving them in the wall.

433.2.1 is quite explicit in where fuses etc should be fitted when there is a change in cross sectional area.

All unused cores need to be earthed to ensure no capacitive or inductive coupling can occur. I know there are times when because of decoration we are unable to remove cables but because to the zones rules one can't really have live cables that are unused.

The
can i cap it off?
worries me as although one may on times leave dead cables in a wall without any fitting to show position we would not do that with live cables.

just brought a new built in cooker comes with moulded plug in 1mm cable. rated at max 2400w. taken the old one out and theres 2 6mm cables behind there one going into the hob and one for the cooker. ive chopped the moulded plug off the new cooker and and ratchet crimped the 1mm to the 6mm supply. just wanted to know that its alright basically before i put it back in?
You've been a trainee electrician for a year, and you still don't know the first thing about the basics of circuit design, and don't realise that what you've done is unbelievably stupid, dangerous and so incompetent as to beggar belief?

Either the people training you are charlatans or you need to look for a new career.

thanks for your advice, ill put a socket on today in the cupboard using the oven supply cable.. sounds the best option.

BAS thanks for your informative comments, thought you'd have something to say at some point. unfortunately im having to do home learning courses and not able to do practical on a regular basis, so its a long old process for me. but luckily when i do do practical i can come and check on here first to make sure i do the job right.

Sorry, but not knowing that you can't put 1mm² cable on a, what, 32A breaker? has absolutely nothing to do with not being able to do much practical work, it is basic basic basic theory, and if you've been studying it for a year and still don't know it then you've either picked a completely rubbish distance learning course, or you've picked the wrong subject to study.

So far you've wasted a year. Unless you change something, then in 12 months time you'll have wasted 2 years, by November 2011 it will be 3 years down the pan, and so on.

yes i totally agree... i didnt even think about that until you just said. learning from a book isnt the easiest way and over the course of a year im going to forget things if im not putting them into practice on a daily basis. (some more obvious than others) but i shall get there, and hopefully by nov 2011 ill be giving advice on here! :)

Hi TE,

Do you know any Electricians who might allow you to labour for them?

As we can see from your post, learning theory from books only doesn't put the learner in a good position. Unfortunately, i think you are not yet in a position to be wiring stuff up
- put the crimpers down and step away from the cable! :)

As BAS has delicately mentioned, if you are not learning the ropes with a spark, you are wasting your time and money.

hi there,
yes i have tried sending emails to different places and small companys asking if i could labour for them on a work experience basis (but only at weekends as i work away in the week.) but had no reply off any and i dont know anyone personally. i have done my PART P building regs in january, but obviously not doing much practical since things slip your mind, its not that i dont know anything. i shall keep trying though! :D

i have done my PART P building regs in january, but obviously not doing much practical since things slip your mind, its not that i dont know anything. i shall keep trying though! :D

unfortunatly it is exactly that - you ARE a danger to yourself and others.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back