Quick PD question

So getting back onto topic.........can you provide a link that's a bit more definitive than the document I linked to earlier?

I'm on the 'mailing lists' of a few LA's but havn't recieved anything tbh, hence I thought it was sill under consultation.

Actually getting back on topic would be answering my last post about combining the rear and side rules ;)

Sponsored Links
Indus, all of your questions are answered here: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/extensions/ I don't quite understand your confusion.

peca27, your queries are also answered here: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/extensions/ and also for the boring bit here: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/1101/article/4./made#article-4.-made)

Some local authorities near me (I have not checked them all) had neighbourhood consultation forms online within days of the legislation going live. Though they are asking for considerably more than the legislation demands so in actual fact you can just submit what the legislation says you must and not everything else your LA may say they need. Maybe sign up to the newsletters from the Planning Portal rather than the useless ones from local authorities. ;)

Sponsored Links
Indus, all of your questions are answered here: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/extensions/ I don't quite understand your confusion.

peca27, your queries are also answered here: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/extensions/ and also for the boring bit here: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/1101/article/4./made#article-4.-made)

Some local authorities near me (I have not checked them all) had neighbourhood consultation forms online within days of the legislation going live. Though they are asking for considerably more than the legislation demands so in actual fact you can just submit what the legislation says you must and not everything else your LA may say they need. Maybe sign up to the newsletters from the Planning Portal rather than the useless ones from local authorities. ;)

Freddy, the thing I'm finding confusing is joining up the rules that apply to rear AND side extensions. An earlier poster said both sets of rules apply to me as it would be classed as a rear and side extension.

So in simple terms does that mean it shouldn't extend beyond the rear wall by more than 3m but ALSO be less than half the width of the original house?

Thanks again

So in simple terms does that mean it shouldn't extend beyond the rear wall by more than 3m but ALSO be less than half the width of the original house?

Yes. The extension has to follow BOTH guidelines. Your single storey extension would have to comply with the following...

- No more than half the area of land around the "original house"* would be covered by additions or other buildings.
- Single-storey rear extension must not extend beyond the rear wall of the original house* by more than three metres if an attached house or by four metres if a detached house.
In addition, outside Article 1(5) designated land* and Sites of Special Scientific Interest the limit is increased to 6m if an attached house and 8m if a detached house until 30 May 2016.
These increased limits (between 3m and 6m and between 4m and 8m respectively) are subject to the neighbour consultation scheme.

- Maximum height of a single-storey rear extension of four metres.
- Maximum eaves height of an extension within two metres of the boundary of three metres.
- Side extensions to be single storey with maximum height of four metres and width no more than half that of the original house.
- Materials to be similar in appearance to the existing house.
- No verandas, balconies or raised platforms.
- On designated land* no permitted development for rear extensions of more than one storey.
- On designated land no cladding of the exterior.
- On designated land no side extensions.

It's all on the Planning Portal.

sorry if this seems obviously wrong but with regard to permitted development and with reference to the "side" of your house, i can only see that you have one actual "side" which would be the area between the front face and the rear running down the "side" of the house. i think this west facing wall(for example)is still classed as a rear wall as it isnt actually on the "side" of your house. it is around the back. this side rule relates to extensions that protrude from the side of the house not because a wall faces a certain direction. there are drawings that explain this on the gov portal. feel free to cut me down.

sorry if this seems obviously wrong but with regard to permitted development and with reference to the "side" of your house, i can only see that you have one actual "side" which would be the area between the front face and the rear running down the "side" of the house. i think this west facing wall(for example)is still classed as a rear wall as it isnt actually on the "side" of your house. it is around the back. this side rule relates to extensions that protrude from the side of the house not because a wall faces a certain direction. there are drawings that explain this on the gov portal. feel free to cut me down.

The document Permitted Development for Householders Technical Guidance August 2010 which is normally available to view/download off the Planning Portal identifies a side elevation as the following:

A wall forming a side elevation of a house will be any wall that cannot be identified as being a front wall or a rear wall.

It also states the following:

Where an extension fills the area between a side elevation and a rear wall, then the restrictions on extensions beyond rear walls and side walls will apply.

Strangely to anyone else reading this, the Technical Guidance is not available to view on the PP at the mo? I wonder if it is to be revised to adsorb the latest PD changes?

jeez-who comes up with this stuff? i seriously understood that the whole side extension bit was about increasing the width of your home-for example that a side extension cant exceed half the total width of the existing building...but then they apply it to the bin shed around the back that has a batten screwed into a rear sidewall...tangled web..keeps people in work i suppose..all be it slightly pointless but that what we're good at in this country : )

The document Permitted Development for Householders Technical Guidance August 2010 which is normally available to view/download off the Planning Portal identifies a side elevation as the following:

A wall forming a side elevation of a house will be any wall that cannot be identified as being a front wall or a rear wall.

It also states the following:

Where an extension fills the area between a side elevation and a rear wall, then the restrictions on extensions beyond rear walls and side walls will apply.

Strangely to anyone else reading this, the Technical Guidance is not available to view on the PP at the mo? I wonder if it is to be revised to adsorb the latest PD changes?

I've always felt that the technical guidance reflects a particular mentality in whoever drew it up. The regulations could just as easily have been interpreted permissively, to allow extensions provided they complied with one or other provision: an extension would be allowed either if it wasn't wider than 50% of the house, or if it didn't go more than 3 (or 4) metres from the rear elevation. An extension not qualifying under one provision could be allowed under the other. But that would be too sensible.

Cheers
Richard

If an online version is required it is available on the Planning Jungle website though and was revised in January so maybe that's why its been taken off the PP for now.

http://planningjungle.com/2013/04/0...for-householders-technical-guidance-document/

http://planningjungle.com/wp-conten...s-Technical-Guidance-January-2013-version.pdf

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back