Quick PD question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Below is a quick (poor!) sketch of my semi detached house. My attached neighbour has a virtually identical house as a mirror image. Due to the shape of my rear(!) I have what you may term as two existing rear walls.

My question is; under the PD allowances for rear extensions could I build a single storey extension outlined by the wiggly lines?

Many thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
3m out from the original wall under normal PD.

Or 6m out from the original wall subject to the neighbour consultation scheme.

3m out from the original wall under normal PD.

Or 6m out from the original wall subject to the neighbour consultation scheme.

Thanks Freddy. Is there any caveat given the extension would be right up to the boundary line?

Also if I built this there would be a definite negative impact on natural light for my neighbour. I take it this is immaterial under PD rules?

Thanks again

You must not build beyond the boundary line with your wall, gutter or fascia or anything else, though strangely you can build the edge of the foundations beyond the boundary (providing you don't touch the ground above). Obviously all the other PD criteria for extensions must be met.

Right to light can be ignored though theoretically a neighbour could raise a dispute in the courts.

Sponsored Links
For your information, you would have to follow the PD guidelines for a rear AND a side extension.

It needs to follow both rear and side rules because it's both a rear and a side extension.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/extensions/miniguide

Do you have intact PD rights? Make sure the 2006 PP didn't take them away too. Why was the first extension not PD?

Will the new extension mean you have built over more than 50% of the land around the house? including sheds and other outbuildings?

Side extension width must not exceed half the width of the original house, must be single storey and must not exceed 4m height. also rear extension must not be more than 4m hight.

If it's within 2m of a rear or side boundary it must not have eaves more than 3m in height

rear extension must not extend more than 3m from original rear wall

etc

I can't access that link at the moment because I'm on my phone.

PD rights have not been withdrawn as far as I know. The previous extension was built in 2006 ie before 2008 PD rules so needed PP.

I am at present building a side extension on the other side ie my unattached side but I take it that should not affect my PD rights either (I'm still well under the 50% curtilage rule)

So if I amalgamate both rear and side PD rules that means (and I am within 2m of my side neighbour)

1) The extension cannot be more than 3m deep

2) It cannot be more than half the width of existing house

3) Eaves cannot be more than 3m high.

Is this correct?

Thanks

If you get on with your neighbour why not see if they want one built at the same time?

Freddy, I know I'm generally slow off the mark but I didn't realise the neighbour consultation scheme had actually come into play?
Yes you are slow off the mark, the legislation went live on 30 May. Do people pay for your advice? :evil: :p

So getting back onto topic.........can you provide a link that's a bit more definitive than the document I linked to earlier?

I'm on the 'mailing lists' of a few LA's but havn't recieved anything tbh, hence I thought it was sill under consultation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back