Quick Question - Extractor Fan Noise After Boiler Service?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.

I've just had my Icon 23T boiler serviced and diaphragm replaced. After the engineer had finished the work, the sound emitted from the extractor fan is very different. It used to be almost silent but now it makes a whirring sound as though it is spinning much quicker. The noise changes as the wind blows outside (presumably as the fan is speeding up and slowing down.)

Could it be that he has simply turned the fan speed up or maybe cleaned it so it can spin faster now, or do I need to get him in again to look at it?

Thanks in advance.

Chris.

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure. I'll have a look and see if it's on tight etc.

Could it just be loose and vibrating?

I've just had a look at it now and you're absolutely right. The cover for the combustion chamber was incorrectly put back. The clips at the rear weren't seated properly and it was drawing in air from the room through the tiny gaps - hence the whirring / rushing air sound.

I can see why he has done it, as it's a s.o.d to line up and get it seated properly, but I've sorted it now.

Thanks for your help, scatmanjohn.

:D

Sponsored Links
Well done scatmanjohn. Shame on the so-called engineer who didn't fit it properly. Just goes to show how risky it is getting someone to service a boiler, thanks to Corgi incompetence.

Many manufacturers make a real hash of their combustion covers.

One of the worst is the Chaff Britony Combi. Appears straighforward just 4 screws but the cover has to sit over the two small lugs at the top of the combustion box. They are not easy to see when the boilers at normal height on the wall. As a result I've seen a few with incorrectly fitted covers. Just s***e design again.

Yeah, well that's the thing - I'm not a boiler engineer but I understand how most things go together, and it certainly is very obvious if the case doesn't seat properly when you're sliding it on.

It seems like many 'engineers' lack that basic skill or they just take a lazy "it'll do" attitude.

:rolleyes:

One of the worst is the Chaff Britony Combi. Appears straighforward just 4 screws but the cover has to sit over the two small lugs at the top of the combustion box. They are not easy to see when the boilers at normal height on the wall. As a result I've seen a few with incorrectly fitted covers. Just s***e design again.
Agree with that comment. The Britony lugs are so small it's easy to miss them, and it won't be obvious that the cover isn't fitted properly. But in this case the difference in fan noise resulting from the incorrectly fitted cover seems to have been obvious enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back