Quick question for fellow window fitters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning guys and gals.

Quick question/survey for you.

Your fitting windows into a newbuild, The building is going to be rendered at a later date. Do you seal the windows or just foam them?

I have worked for 4 different company's in the past and all of them just fit and foamed, I also have friends who work for some other company's and they say the same.
So far I have spoken to (or worked with) 6 company's and at least 20 fitters who all do the same.

Sponsored Links
Just foam, I've found render doesn't stick to silicone very well and can crumble eventually

Cheers guys.

Had to go see a fussy customer that I had fitted some timber windows for about 5 years ago.
She had a couple of leaks and a builder had told her it was because of the foam and not having been sealed before it was rendered.

Thought I would be in for a bit of an argument when I got there but luckily she still thinks Im the best trades person she had on her house so was happy to take my word without having to back it up in anyway.

Was a bit of an odd leak with no obvious causes, There were a few small cracks in the render where it meets the frames so I sealed them up and will have to wait and see.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back