Quick Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I seem to have my thick head on this evening.

Just doing some cable calcs for a job, but I can't find the table in the regs for resistance of copper conductors per meter.

Can anyone make me look really silly, and point me in the right direction?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
:LOL:
Didn't see your post there simon
I'm still waiting for the update sheet to the 17th for gn8

V/A = ohms so v/a/m = ohms per meter. So for example 18mV/A/m = 0.018 ohms per meter for 2.5mm

that's not right is it?

for a start the mV/A/m varies depending on whether it's 2 cables or 3 or 4 cables..

table 9A in the OSG gives the resistance pre meter or 2.5 as 7.41milliohms/meter..

for a start the mV/A/m varies depending on whether it's 2 cables or 3 or 4 cables..
Yep, this is at the conductor operating temperature i.e. 70 deg or 90 deg depending on cable type, also takes into account the resistance/impedance of both the phase conductor and neutral conductor in the case of single phase, or the phase conductors in 3 phase.
table 9A in the OSG gives the resistance pre meter or 2.5 as 7.41milliohms/meter..
Yep, for a single length of copper wire on its own at 20 degrees.

It's OK to use the volt drop table as Eric did so long as you remember it is also considering the return down the neutral - i.e. twice the length of cable as the 7.41mOhm figure you quoted from table 9A for a single conductor. To compare like for like, the appropriate figure from table 9A would be the 14.82mOhm figure that relates to the 2.5mm^2 conductor and a 2.5mm^2 CPC. The reason they are not exactly the same (14.82 vs 18) is that table 9A figures are for 20 degrees, wheras the volt drop table figures are for 70 degrees where the resistivity of copper is higher, hence the higher resistance.

Liam

Edit - beaten to it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back