Quickstep laminate installation frustration

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I'm at the beginning stages of installing some nice quickstep laminate in my lounge. 19m2
I have the first 3 rows down.
The trouble is, when I start a new row, the first plank goes in nice and easily.
The second I am putting in about 5 mm away from the previous, and then tapping it in to mate the short ends together..
However when I do this. Or when I coke to the end of the row and have to use the pull bar, it seems to separate the ends of some of the previous rows planks..

What am I doing wrong??
:confused:

I have the. Tried going back a row and using the pull bar to get them together again, but it's becoming increasingly stubborn with the more rows attached.

I'm wondering if I should connect the entire rows ends together before properly clicking it into the previous row.
Any advise would be gratefully received.

Many thanks,
Matt

Sponsored Links
I would suggest the planks are not locking together fully. I did drop a whole strip of them in at one go several times but either way after you have snapped a piece in use the tapping block (you need the proper one to save damage to the tongues) against the long edge to ensure they are fully engaged before fitting the next bit.

Getting a glamorous assistant to stand on the last plank may help too!

Of course the ones that have popped out a few times may still be a slack fit as they may be slightly damaged.

Hope it helps.

Thanks footprints.

Unfortunately i'm doing this single handedly.
I have a universal tapping block with a laminate floor kit.
Maybe I have been putting downward pressure on the short end tongue and caused a slight issue...

I'm assuming my methods of properly clicking the long edge in before tapping it longways to lock in the short ends is the correct way?
I cant see any other way of doing it..

Regards,
Matt

Reading it again are you saying the neighbouring strip seprates at the end joints? Are you using wedges at the ends against the skirting that should stop them from shifting. I assume you are staggering joints.

Sponsored Links
yeah the neighbouring ones are ever so slightly separating at the end joints.
and even some 2 rows away.
its only a slight separation.

I am using wedges/spacers - although the plasterboard does not join the concrete floor (probably 1cm off it) so the floor can just push the spaces underneath the plasterboard if that makes sense..

I am using wedges/spacers - although the plasterboard does not join the concrete floor (probably 1cm off it) so the floor can just push the spaces underneath the plasterboard if that makes sense..

In that case wedge the boards against the wall, not the plasterboard. That way they wont shift. I had the same problem!

As Mikeey84 says pehaps a couple of small blocks of wood about the plasterboard depth slipped in for the wedges to push against might help.

thanks guys.
Its reassuring advice.

I'll give it a go!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back