First time floorer - and I may have messed up :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.

A few months ago I started laying some flooring in our house. We did the dining room first and 90% of it was fine, but there were 3 rows at the start that just didn't sit right and really bugged me. I have since done the hall and I am really happy with the results there. But his only made the 3 iffy rows in the dining room annoy me more :)

So against my wife's better wishes I pulled up the first 3 rows figuring I could just fit the floor backwards (if you see what I mean?) and only refit those first 3 rows again. It was just cheap tongue and groove from B&Q as it's a rented house.

However it turned out to be a nightmare to get the rows back in when doing it in reverse, and now I am worried that I need to do the whole floor again!

Am I being stupid? should it connect together fine or should I take the whole floor up and start again. I was concerned that I may have damaged the connections on some of the planks when I tried to get it back in so I have a new pack standing by.

Hopefully my explanation of fitting it backwards makes sense, I am new to this but have really enjoyed doing it so far, although I don't see my quitting my day job :)

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
It will go back in, you may find the final row a little awkward though. If you have some off cuts that you can slot to the planks, it will help you tap the first two rows over without causing damaged.

Thanks, I will give it a blast with new strips and see what happens.

just be careful you don't get the underlay caught in the grooves as it wont click together properly
this is more likely to happen when laying as it where back to front

Sponsored Links
worked like a charm, thanks. I am sure it seamed more difficult but regardless it's much better than it was before, I also managed to fit the door thresholds so aside from skirting boards it's finished. Cheers for the help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back