Quick one for you, WYL.......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
B&Q do a pre-finished French Pine flooring which I laid in my front room, and looks very nice. That room was quite large (20' x 12') so I hired a Secret Nailer and put about 3 or 4 nails in each 6' plank.

I'm going to do the same in my dining room, onto a chipboard subfloor, and as this is a smaller room (10' x 10') and I have a very short time allowed to do it in, was wondering if I could make it semi-floating - Maybe nail down every 4th or 5th row of boards and then just glue the tongues of all other rows ? Does that sound possible, or am I just going to cause more work in the long run ?

Sponsored Links
Forget about the nailer and install floating on sound-insulation. Glue the T&G's

(Quick enough?)
:D

11.05 would've been more impressive....... ;)

So no nails at all ? Not even the odd one here and there to hold things together ?

Well, some are never satisfied, is it? :D

Nope, it's either or, not here and there a bit.

Nailing just the od one will cause more problems in the end (restricted movement in the od plank that is nailed).

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Got it. No nails, nowhere, not at all....

(6 minutes though - you know how to keep a boy waiting.... :LOL: )

Another quickie, if you'd be so kind....

Is it best to have the wood so that the piece you have already laid has the grrove showing, and you then glue your tongue and shove it in, or is it best to lay with the tongue showing, run some glue on it, then put the groove over it (if you see what I mean).

And if the former, do you need to glue the tongue top and bottom, or just one side...?

Hi Johnny

You normally start with the groove facing the wall, Tongue towards you. The next row you glue the groove, preferably as much on the bottom of the groove as possible, to prevent seeping on the top of the boards when placing the boards together.
Glue the whole length of the groove, not just some drips here and there.

Hope this makes sense :D

Can you advise any particular glue for this purpose. And also what size gap needs to be left between the walls and the boards for a room 16x14'

Many thanks

The purpose of glueing T&G's? Normal PVAC wood glue will do.
Rule of thumb by Oak floors: 3mm gap per 1 meter width, with a minimum of 10mm gap.
(Beech floors require a larger gap, minimum of 15mm)
Hope this helps, if not, please do give a litlte bit more info about what kind of flooring you are installing.

Thanks a lot. It's plain pine floorboards 18 mm thick with tongue and groove lock. Never done this before so a bit worried.

Planning to use this underlay mainly for insulation, not so much for noise isolation. Would it be ok?

And the last one. Sorry if it sounds silly, but... 10 mm gap on each side or in total?

Regards,

Alex

Only use that kind of underlayment when installing on concrete/screed floors.
Yes, indeed, sorry about the confusion (professional jargon blindness I think) 10mm on both sides

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back