Quote for a new Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Am finally getting round to replacing a (very old) GlowWorm Fuelsaver Mk II Boiler, and just want to run the quote past you chaps to see what you thought - have actually had about 6 people round, and these are the only outfit who seem to present themselves as professional, and who seem to know what I need.

Basically, I am having the boiler replaced with a Vailant EcoTec Plus 618 boiler, and relocated from the kitchen to the attic. System will be powerflushed with Fernox prior to new boiler being put in. Existing system is open vented - will be converted to sealed system. Replace existing cylinder with new one. Install new Honeywell progarmmer, room and cylinder thermostat. Install three thermostatic rad valves.

They're charging :

Fernox universal cleaner : 29.70
Fernox corrosion proofer : 29.54
Fernox Jetflush : 300
Fernox neutraliser : 31.88
Copper tube : 62.00
3 Honeywell classic thermostatic rad valves : 63.00
Sundries and fittings : 70.00
Waste disposal : 20.00
Vaillant EcoTec 618 gas fired boiler : 1050.00
Flue kit and plume deflector : 189.00
High efficiency hot water BSS cylinder : 180.00
Immersion heater and thermostat : 28.75
28mm x 1" F/1 couplers : 12.50
Honeywell Controls : 174.30
Labour : 1200.00

3480.67 in total.....plus VAT.

I know this isn't the cheapest, by a long shot (could probably get it for 2800 plus VAT with a more dodgy seeming outfit), but is it at least reasonable? Or am I being utterly ripped off? Am hoping to negotiate a bit, and maybe get 1 or 2 hundred off....

Would also appreciate any thoughts on the Vaillant EcoTec 618!

Thanks,

A

Sponsored Links
go to the fernox website, or try Kamco

The prices sound fairly ripoff to me

The price is fairly high, is it from a large-ish company?

It looks like they are making their money on materials such as the boiler and Honeywell controls as all can be obtained cheaper yourself, but I doubt that they would let you supply your own as its obviously their way of making money.

However, if you COULD supply the boiler, controls & TRV's yourself then £1200 labour is very cheap for this size of job.

As Paul says they have applied a mark-up to the supplied parts.

In reality that is just a subsidy for the rather low labour charge of £1200.

It does indicate a quite professional company which has identified quality products and named them in the quotation. If you go with it then make sure they really use those products!

Fernox neutraliser at £31.88 plus vat ?????

Tony

Sponsored Links
The company is failry large, I think - they do come across as very professional, and have placed a heavy emphasis on making all the components work together as a system, which is something that I thought was quite important.

I know I can get the Vaillant alot cheaper, but they won't fit that - only if they supply it. When I asked about the price difference, they said it reflected the fact that they source, store and deliver the boiler, plus they will pre-test it before install to make sure there's nothing wrong with it. This sounded a bit of a dodgy reason to me, but it makes sense that they're marking up the products if their labour charge is low. What labour costs would you have expected for a job like this? I live in the South East - don't know if this affects the price?

I want a quality job, and I don't want to have to worry about my heating ever again once it's in(!!!) - I know you get what you pay for so I don't mind paying to get a quality job done - from what you've said it sounds like the overall quote is a little on the high side, but not totally over the top?

Where in Herts are you? I may know a couple of companies who cover some of Herts who could quote you. They are medium-large sized companies who will do a good job, and should be cheaper than that.

And pre-testing a boiler??? Give me a break! Ask to see pictoral evidence of them testing your exact boiler before the job, then see what they say!

As for labour costs, without seeing whats involved its hard to give an accurate figure. From what you said I would charge at least £1600 labour and maybe £200 on top of that for the powerflush (labour only). I would allow you to buy your own boiler & materials if you wanted, which would save money. However, you would not have me do the job as you would probably consider me a 'dodgy seeming outfit' (I am also too busy right now)!

As ACO says it may be a little high (not much IMO)

I do like the way they have not shy'd away from hiding the prices in a lump sum and have listed it out for you to see.

Looks like a good company to me.

Thanks for all the advice - much appreciated!

ACOperson, am sure you're not that dodgy :) But we've had real problems getting professional seeming companies - out of six companies, three didn't bother to send through a quote at all, one chap was more interested in trying to convince me to use a Combi boiler, despite my house having two bathrooms, being on a shared supply with 6 other houses, and consequently having pretty low pressure mains, and another chap turned up with a can of cider, and told me I'd have to do all the wiring on the controller myself because he couldn't do electrics. All these people were Corgi registered, and I got them from the Corgi lists, so I'm starting to give up all hope! Only the company who gave me the quote below have come up with the goods so far.

I live near Hemel Hempstead in Herts - if you do know of any recommended companies, please let me know!

I reckon that this boys are good amudda, as they have not been lazy and gone straight for the combi and have check the system out.

It seems to e that they are a proffesional outfit and wish to do a top job in your house.

Stick with them, the cheapest is rarely the best.

Where is the new boiler's flue going to go? through the wall or vertically through the roof?

P.S. I have no idea if it's allowed but you may get some interest if you made your email address visible ;)

amudda said:
The company is failry large, I think - they do come across as very professional, and have placed a heavy emphasis on making all the components work together as a system, which is something that I thought was quite important.

I know I can get the Vaillant alot cheaper, but they won't fit that - only if they supply it. When I asked about the price difference, they said it reflected the fact that they source, store and deliver the boiler, plus they will pre-test it before install to make sure there's nothing wrong with it. This sounded a bit of a dodgy reason to me, but it makes sense that they're marking up the products if their labour charge is low. What labour costs would you have expected for a job like this? I live in the South East - don't know if this affects the price?

I want a quality job, and I don't want to have to worry about my heating ever again once it's in(!!!) - I know you get what you pay for so I don't mind paying to get a quality job done - from what you've said it sounds like the overall quote is a little on the high side, but not totally over the top?

Pre test boiler before installation sounds very dodgy. My vaillant ecomax was factory tested (Germany) unless they are supplying you a nearly new boiler.

Basecoat said:
Pre test boiler before installation sounds very dodgy. My vaillant ecomax was factory tested (Germany) unless they are supplying you a nearly new boiler.

Think they probably mean check everything in the box.

I think they are pulling a fast one. EU regs are pretty stringent when it comes to gas appliances, they will be pretested by the manufacturer anyway.

Lorraine

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back