Quote for new wooden sash windows - reasonable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We are considering replacing our very old sash windows with new double glazed wooden ones (with the same look). To get started I've been in contact with one company so far (Sash Windows London Ltd) and gotten a quote. I was hoping to get some feedback on it from people with more knowledge than myself.

They've done some installations in the area and they look very nice from the outside at least. Haven't been able to look at the details though

In total there are 5 windows, 2 * 700x1500mm, 1 * 1200x1500mm and 2 * 1100x15000mm. The 3 bigger ones have an astragal bar in the middle and all are double glazed wooden sash windows (Low E 24mm security beaded 4/16/4 sealed units). The windows themselves seems to be manufactured by a company called Bereco (haven't been able to find much opinions on them online).

For the above I have been quoted £7500 for spiral balanced ones, or £9000 for a pulley and cord system (we would prefer the latter since it looks better in our opinion)

Does this sound reasonable?

I realise I should get some more quotes to compare but it's a start at least.

Another option we've considered is to refurbish the existing windows. That would obviously leave them single glazed though. Not quite sure what difference single vs double glazing does in an 1890s brick house. The wood itself is in good health as far as I can tell, but it requires some work to get the windows back in shape again (partly painted shut, broken ropes/pulleys, mould, rattling etc). It feels easier to just get new ones so I haven't really looked into this option. Would the price difference be substantial enough so that it's an option to consider?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Just to give you some ideas, a double glazed sash window never looks as good as a single glazed one as all the timber has to be much chunkier to take the weight of the D/G units.
The prices seem about right but the new frames will protrude into the house as the boxes are wider.
I charge between £250-£350 per window to draft proof a single glazed sash which would include freeing any stuck sashes and replacing any worn/broken cords and would get rid of any rattles.
I'm not touting for business just giving you some options.
I can restore or replace windows and I all most always prefer to restore but it's not my fuel bill.

Thanks for your thoughts

I hadn't considered that the thickness of double glazed units might make things look different. That's worth considering.
It sounds like refurbishing is an option that I should consider then as well. I'll look into that.

Sponsored Links
I was quoted £330 per window for refurb in Glasgow. According to the guy's sales pitch, the majority of the heat loss is caused by gaps round the windows rather than because of the single glazing. He said that although it's possible to double glaze them it isn't easy or as aethesitcly pleasing, and so they wouldn't do it. I haven't hired them yet but I intend to, as a neighbour got their windows done and they look far better than modern windows.

in a listed building, or if you are keen to maintain originality, you may consider refurbing the old sashes and adding Secondary Glazing. This can be very unobtrusive, and if you use net curtains, pretty well impossible to detect. As well as heat insulation, it is better for soundproofing than sealed units (true).

New Sliding Sash are extremely expensive, so I would look for some kind of assurance that they are made of a durable, treated hardwood so they will last a long time without rot or leaks. Furry "pile" draught excluder strips slide silently with negligible wear and are very effective.

The hardware is all very simple and replacable, provided you have traditional weights and pulleys, by someone who knows how to do it. Modern fittings and balances might be tricky. In my case, by the time the old ones needed replacing, they were no longer available.

Another option we've considered is to refurbish the existing windows. That would obviously leave them single glazed though. Not quite sure what difference single vs double glazing does in an 1890s brick house. The wood itself is in good health as far as I can tell, but it requires some work to get the windows back in shape again (partly painted shut, broken ropes/pulleys, mould, rattling etc). It feels easier to just get new ones so I haven't really looked into this option.
Do investigate refurbishment. If the wood is OK then you will be MUCH better off by refurbishing instead of buying new. Draught-proofing of the window is relatively cheap and much more cost-effective than fitting (expensive) double glazing. Don't forget the other hassle with replacement, such as re-plastering and re-decoration. There are lots of people who do sash window refurbishment - my neighbour used Ventrolla who will give you a quote to use as a yardstick, but don't be surprised if they say your cills need replacement.

Do your present windows have (old wavy) crown glass? If so, look after it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back