Quote to rewire a flat-excessive?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have just recieved a quote to re-wire the flat I have just bought. It is a very small one bedroom flat (40 square metres in total) and the wiring is very old, so a rewire is neccessary it seems.

I have just recieved a quote for £1790 for the job, 'whole electrical installation including parts, labour and certificate. Exclusing sockets, switches, and lights.'

This sounds very very expensive to me! I want to get a second opinion and some more quotes but just wondering if this is around what I should expect to pay?

The living room and bedroom will probably have 2/3 double sockets and wiring for recessed lights, the kitchen just needs wiring for spotlights and some sockets and some extra wire available for when I put a new kitchen in.

The flat really is very small and is also empty so I think this guy is taking me for a ride....

Sponsored Links
Get more quotes?

Also depends if your helping out by lifting floor boards, chasing out walls and suchlike, or if your wanting him to do everything...

I'd also want more detail than just "parts"

Get more quotes?

Also depends if your helping out by lifting floor boards, chasing out walls and suchlike, or if your wanting him to do everything...

I'd also want more detail than just "parts"

'Parts as wires, boxes, fusebox excludes sockets, switches, and lights'.

I will definitely get another quote!

He did say that he could just get the fusebox replaced and it would probably be fine to sign off...but the flat is old and I'm worried about the safety of the wiring. Although...it won't get signed off if it isnt safe I guess so perhaps I should just have the fusebox replaced....

When I say 'wiring is very old', the flat was converted in the 80s so it's not THAT old!

Sponsored Links
ye, but theres differnt types of fuse boxes, fittings etc.

He could be using complete rubbish or top of the line MK switches.

Could be using dual RCD and MCB's or RCBO's etc.

Before i gave anyone 1700quid i'd be wanting to know EXACTLY whats going to be used.

It's hard for people who don't see the place to have a good idea, but flats can have problems with solid concrete walls and ceilings...

£1790 may turn out to be on the high side, so do get some more quotes, but I fear that if you think it is "very very expensive" you are in for a series of disappointments.

I have budgeted about £1200 for the re-wire so that would be acceptable but £1800 seems very high.

On my survey it states 'The system appears to utilise old rewirable fuses suggesting that the system requires complete rewire'.

He said he could just replace the fusebox and it would probably be fine to get signed off but I'm new at this (if you hadnt guessed!) and I just don;t want to cut corners where I shouldnt be....

If it was 'probably fine' to just replace the fusebox and get some new sockets and switches put in, I should probably do that.

However....would this be a mistake? Should I definitely resign myself to the fact that it will probably have to be rewired?

thanks for your help everyone....x

One way to look at it; it will need a re-wire at some point (maybe not right away - I'm not qualified to say), but at the moment you say it's empty (guessing you haven't moved in?) so would you prefer the sparky to make a mess chasing walls, ripping up floors etc now and get the job done, or in a few years time when you've moved in and decorated everything nicely?

£1700 seems cheap!

I havent worked on a job under £2000 in months.

You say flat, are the floor and ceilings concrete?

Floor is wooden floorboards-there is carpet on it currently but I'm removing that myself. The ceilings are plasterboard!

Does the fact that the system uses 'old rewireable fuses' suggest that it needs a complete (£1800) rewire and just a new fusebox? Help....

I dunno we can't see it.

To get the fuseboard changed would probably be around £300ish so why not just get that done if you think £1700 is dear?

When I say 'wiring is very old', the flat was converted in the 80s so it's not THAT old!
But how much, if any, of the wiring was renewed at that time?

Just get a few more electricians in, and ask them for a bit more detail on their quotes. Check as well that they are registered for self-certification of Building Regs compliance, and show the door to anyone who says that their mate/brother/etc will sign it off.

I dunno we can't see it.

To get the fuseboard changed would probably be around £300ish so why not just get that done if you think £1700 is dear?

Concerned about safety and any implications of having old wiring...however, I'm not sure what these implications are really. Perhaps I really don't need a rewire at all!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back