Quotes, and increases

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, wondering a bit about quotes, my girlfriend is getting a loft conversion, she got given a quote by a company in leeds for £10,000 ish , which is basically enlarging an existing attic room.
She accepted this quote, and got drawings and planning permission, now the builders are dithering saying that they are unable to do the job ( too much work), and they are going to subcontract the job out, and they want a 25% deposit and the price is going up by 40% (£4,000), I thought quotes were binding?

Sponsored Links
..........I thought quotes were binding?

Even if they were, would you want the work done by someone who didn't want to do it? As for subcontracting the job, I presume the firm was chosen on things other than price alone. If not, they should have been. Going for the lowest price may not be the best.

Giblets46 said:
Hi there, wondering a bit about quotes, my girlfriend is getting a loft conversion, she got given a quote by a company in leeds for £10,000 ish , which is basically enlarging an existing attic room.
She accepted this quote, and got drawings and planning permission, now the builders are dithering saying that they are unable to do the job ( too much work), and they are going to subcontract the job out, and they want a 25% deposit and the price is going up by 40% (£4,000), I thought quotes were binding?

Tell then to get paxoed and get someone else to do the job. If they bugga about before they've even started the job gawd knows how they'll be when/if they can be rsed to do it. :cry:

Sponsored Links
Studders said:
Tell then to get paxoed and get someone else to do the job. If they bugga about before they've even started the job gawd knows how they'll be when/if they can be rsed to do it.
Spot on! Subcontracting it out as well! Can you imagine the buck passing that is going to occur once the fun begins. One lot saying, "Sorry, we're not the ones doing the work, you'll have to take it up with the subbies", the other lot saying "Sorry luv, we've done exactly what we were paid to do by the other lot, anything else, you'll have to pay us extra"

At least now you've got all the plans, you can get someone else to give a firm quote based on the specific work involved.

If they don't fancy the job and are trying to make you pay more for them to give it away for you then tell them where to go . I have my own Joinery and Construction company in Leeds and would be happy to advise on the job for you. It's exactly this type of joker who tarnishes the hard and honest work that the majority of the trade do. Name and shame him that's my view.

Hi there, many thanks for the advice, exactly what we were thinking of, and it makes it a lot easier to get quotes once you have the drawings done.
Cheers
Edward

On what basis did they quote. Did you provide contractors with a clear specification of works with details and schedules of materials, finishes etc. and a clear understanding of the terms of contract?

I have spent much of my professional life dealing with construction disputes where people employed a builder with no details or any kind of agreement whatsoever. One of the most common disagreements is that builders finish work without painting walls and joinery. I have even had a case where the builders finished without plastering walls - they said the verbal agreement was to complete to a shell.

I find that most builders are quite reasonable, and some are very good, but there is a fairly large percentage that will take every advantage going. Even if you are originally quoted for good quality doors, windows finishes etc, unless it is written down, there is no guarantee as to what you will end up with.

My advice is to draw up a spec - take some advice on it if you need to - and have some basic drawings done. When you seek quotes, make sure the contractor knows the basis of the agreement. Consider using a basic contract.

If the contractor is not interested in being tied to a basic contract or a spec, it tells you everything you need to know about them. In my experience, good contractors prefer to have an agreement because it protects them from you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back